Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Infinite stretching
I'm having trouble with de stretch of a rope using Obi Rope. I have a vertical rope with the upper point fixed (using Obi particle attachment with the target being the rope itself). Then I have attached a cube (rigid body) at the bottom using the same particle attachment component.

When I play the simulation, the cube just falls to the infinite and the rope keeps stretching. I have no idea how to solve it.

I tried using a another cube as a "platform" to make a collision with the first cube and stop it from falling and that seems to work just fine, but as soon as i lower the platform the rope starts stretching again.

I tried to add more substeps to the Obi solver, to reduce the time step of the project settings and to increase the iterations of the distance constraints.

I'm a beginer with unity so maybe i'm missing sth basic and important there.
(17-07-2020, 08:15 PM)adrianaa97 Wrote: I'm having trouble with de stretch of a rope using Obi Rope. I have a vertical rope with the upper point fixed (using Obi particle attachment with the target being the rope itself). Then I have attached a cube (rigid body) at the bottom using the same particle attachment component.

When I play the simulation, the cube just falls to the infinite and the rope keeps stretching. I have no idea how to solve it.

There's two types of attchments: Static and Dynamic. Make sure yours is set to dynamic. From the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html

Quote:However, since no dynamics are involved in a static attachment -no forces, velocities or accelerations-, statically attaching an actor to a rigidbody will cause the actor to blindy follow the rigidbody's transform. The rigidbody will behave exactly in the same way it would if no actor was attached to it. The techcnical name for this kind of behavior is one-way coupling.

By using dynamic attachments, you allow the particles to be fully simulated and exchange impulses with rigidbodies. This means the actor will be affected by the rigidbody's movements, and the rigidbody will in turn be affected by the actor. The techcnical name for this kind of behavior is two-way coupling.
(20-07-2020, 08:20 AM)josemendez Wrote: There's two types of attchments: Static and Dynamic. Make sure yours is set to dynamic. From the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ments.html
Thank you so much now works fine with the dynamic attachment