Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
200 Ft Suspension bridge -crazy rope issue
Hi I'm having an issue with the rope colliders not being an equal distance from each other and it seems to cause jitters- how can I make them equal? I have the rope set to .04 thickness,  0.351 resolution and 5000 particles... the bridge is approximately 200 feet long.
I've also added tether constraints because the rope would just keep stretching but also how the bridge sections are currently hanging doesn't seem natural/fluid yet maybe reduce the stiffness?

I have a video example but don't want to post it here.

Thanks, Kurt.
(07-12-2017, 03:24 AM)Ascensi Wrote: Hi I'm having an issue with the rope colliders not being an equal distance from each other and it seems to cause jitters- how can I make them equal? I have the rope set to .04 thickness,  0.351 resolution and 5000 particles... the bridge is approximately 200 feet long.
I've also added tether constraints because the rope would just keep stretching but also how the bridge sections are currently hanging doesn't seem natural/fluid yet maybe reduce the stiffness?

I have a video example but don't want to post it here.

Thanks, Kurt.

Hi Kurt,

Reducing the distance constraints stiffness would make your rope more stretchy, if anything you should try to set it to its maximum value (1). Increase the amount of distance/tether constraint iterations and reduce tether stiffness (not sure if you meant distance or tether stiffness), maybe increase tether scale slightly over 1.

Will get back to you via mail once I get to see your video.

cheers,
(07-12-2017, 05:25 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Kurt,

Reducing the distance constraints stiffness would make your rope more stretchy, if anything you should try to set it to its maximum value (1). Increase the amount of distance/tether constraint iterations and reduce tether stiffness (not sure if you meant distance or tether stiffness), maybe increase tether scale slightly over 1.

Will get back to you via mail once I get to see your video.

cheers,

Thanks for the tip, I tried your suggestions, the distance setting did help with the rope slack, but I still would like to know why one end of the rope get more resolution than the other? isn't there a way to force the resolution through the entire rope so that the colliders are equally spaced? I've also got the rope to remove the slack through reducing resolution as well but it's a bad trade off because colliders in the rope are apparently needed to prevent characters or other objects from passing through.

Maybe a solution for long high performance bridges/ropes could be 2 things - more rigid rope/less resolution and a second collider layer (1 or 2 "elongated" sphere colliders between posts) that mainly exists to keep objects and characters from passing through and only become active when the character or objects are close by/come in contact.

To get high performance ropes for bridges may require the ropes to be more rigid because this means less need to bump up iterations for tighter rope and adding tons of particle colliders to prevent objects from passing through them. Bridges often require more than one rope. I'd like to have 6 on mine, 3 on each side and approximately 200 Ft for use in VR. I have a solution for the modular bridge parts, it's just a matter of taming the ropes.