Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  Drop in performance when zooming
I am facing this issue where the game runs perfectly fine on 60 fps on my mobile device but as soon as I zoom in near the fluid my fps drops to 20 fps.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing that ?
(05-06-2020, 10:01 AM)superdev Wrote: I am facing this issue where the game runs perfectly fine on 60 fps on my mobile device but as soon as I zoom in near the fluid my fps drops to 20 fps.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing that ?

Hi,

Fillrate is the culprit. Mobile GPUs are notably fill-rate limited. Some effects, such as fluid rendering, can bring the GPU to its knees when it fills the majority of the screen. Note this also happens with regular particle systems. Having many particles close to the screen, filling the majority of it, will kill performance on most mobile devices as it forces the GPU to draw the entire screen multiple times to blend all particles together.

Limit how close you can get to the fluid and/or reduce fluid rendering resolution. Also, try reducing the fluid renderer's smoothness. This will reduce the cost of each fluid fragment, alleviating the burden.
(05-06-2020, 10:05 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Fillrate is the culprit. Mobile GPUs are notably fill-rate limited. Some effects, such as fluid rendering, can bring the GPU to its knees when it fills the majority of the screen. Note this also happens with regular particle systems. Having many particles close to the screen, filling the majority of it, will kill performance on most mobile devices as it forces the GPU to draw the entire screen multiple times to blend all particles together.

Limit how close you can get to the fluid and/or reduce fluid rendering resolution. Also, try reducing the fluid renderer's smoothness. This will reduce the cost of each fluid fragment, alleviating the burden.

Hello josemendez,

I appreciate the quick response. I was wondering if there is any way to bake or pause the particles so it stops all the calculation therefore saving the performance.