Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase stiffness (deformation resistance)?
I need to customise the behaviour of a softbody to make it more rigid and increase the damping, to make it behave less like a jelly and more like a balloon.

However the Deformation Resistance slider under Shape Matching Constraints only goes up to 1, which is not stiff enough, and I can't find anything related to damping.

Lowering the mass of the particles in the blueprint helps a little, but this seems like a bit of a hack, and setting the mass too low causes strange behaviour.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
(22-04-2020, 05:26 PM)GeorgeAmuzo Wrote: I need to customise the behaviour of a softbody to make it more rigid and increase the damping, to make it behave less like a jelly and more like a balloon.

However the Deformation Resistance slider under Shape Matching Constraints only goes up to 1, which is not stiff enough, and I can't find anything related to damping.

Lowering the mass of the particles in the blueprint helps a little, but this seems like a bit of a hack, and setting the mass too low causes strange behaviour.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Just increase the amount of iterations for shape matching constraints (found in ObiSolver), and/or, the amount of substeps in the ObiFixedUpdater. To see the role iterations/substeps have in the simulation, this is a good read: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...gence.html

Iterative solvers in general (not just Obi) will try to reach the desired stiffness, within the simulation budget. Undersolved constraints manifest as overly "stretchy".