Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Object moving at runtime when Softbody Skinner is applied
Hello, I recently purchased Obi Softbody thanks to the recent asset store sale. I've been having a lot of fun using them, but have encountered a bizarre error when attempting to apply Softbody in more elaborate ways.

For instance on this character I thought to use Softbody to simulate their tail behavior. However after applying the Softbody Skinner the tail suddenly moved as if it was rotated 90° around the character's root transform. No part of the tail object or the tail's parent objects are rotated and even when inspecting the tail and its parents their transforms have not been changed, however the tail itself clearly has been. Even more frustratingly this effect can not be fixed by counter-rotating the tail object or its parents; as soon as the simulation starts the tail instantly moves to this new position regardless of the transform data of anything involved. The only way to move the tail is to change the transform data of the object tied to the Obi Solver/Fixed Updater components.

Even more bizarrely this effect does not apply to other parts of the character that Softbody has been applied to, even though all the Softbody components are using the same Solver/Fixed Updater.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: unknown.png]

Does anyone know what might be causing this, or how to fix this peculiar bug?
Hi there,

Without taking a look at the actual character transform hierarchy it's nearly impossible to tell the cause of this. My take would be that some transform is rotated 90 degrees somewhere, as Obi does not change the transform of objects at any time. However, it appends new bones to the objects that are bound using a ObiSoftbodySkinner, so this could be affecting somehow.

As said, difficult to tell from the pics alone. If possible, send your character to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so we can take a look at it and determine the culprit.

cheers!