Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  Centrifugal casting
Hello,

I am a structural engineer. I have some question regarding the capabilities of your solver.

Is it possible to use Virtual Method (Obi Fluid) to simulate the centrifugal casting procedure of concrete? This procedure is used in the production of concrete tubes with the length up to ca. 20 m and diameter up to 2 m. Is this solver comparable to, or even better than the CFD/DEM-solvers available on the market regarding the mentioned simulations? Finally, is it possible to incorporate rheology of Non-Newtonian Fluid fluid to your model (e.g. Bingham, Herschel-Bulkley etc..).

I know this is not a typical question, I would appreciate if you would contact me in PM if this does not belong to the general discussion.

Thanks in advance.
(05-04-2020, 12:07 PM)DPhI_MUE Wrote: Hello,

I am a structural engineer. I have some question regarding the capabilities of your solver.

Is it possible to use Virtual Method (Obi Fluid) to simulate the centrifugal casting procedure of concrete? This procedure is used in the production of concrete tubes with the length up to ca. 20 m and diameter up to 2 m. Is this solver comparable to, or even better than the CFD/DEM-solvers available on the market regarding the mentioned simulations? Finally, is it possible to incorporate rheology of Non-Newtonian Fluid fluid to your model (e.g. Bingham, Herschel-Bulkley etc..).

I know this is not a typical question, I would appreciate if you would contact me in PM if this does not belong to the general discussion.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Obi is based on PBF (position-based-fluids), which is a very simplified fluid dynamics model. It isn't even close to the level of commercial engineering-grade CFD solutions, as it makes lots of assumptions that favor performance over correctness. It can only model newtonian fluids (and even then, using an extremely simple, isotropic viscosity model), and centrifugal forces aren't taken into account.

It's not intended to be used for cases such as the one you describe: it's only meant to provide fast, physically plausible fluid simulation for games.
(05-04-2020, 02:36 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Obi is based on PBF (position-based-fluids), which is a very simplified fluid dynamics model. It isn't even close to the level of commercial engineering-grade CFD solutions, as it makes lots of assumptions that favor performance over correctness. It can only model newtonian fluids (and even then, using an extremely simple, isotropic viscosity model), and centrifugal forces aren't taken into account.

It's not intended to be used for cases such as the one you describe: it's only meant to provide fast, physically plausible fluid simulation for games.

Dear josemendez,

thank you for the quick answer. I have already assumed that, but I thought it does not hurt to ask.

Have a nice weekend.