Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OBI Rope and VR
I am trying to use OBI Rope in a VR environment but when I have multiple ropes in a view it tends to eat up the FPS pretty bad and makes it hard to keep the FPS above 90. With out the ropes active I can get up to 120fps but as soon as I add in 1 rope it goes down to about 95 FPS and each added rope continues to lower the FPS. I have about 10 ropes in the view total and when they are all active the frames will drop to 60-70 FPS. Any ideas on what I can do to improve the performance to not make the frames tank so much?
(09-10-2017, 05:42 PM)TSREI Wrote: I am trying to use OBI Rope in a VR environment but when I have multiple ropes in a view it tends to eat up the FPS pretty bad and makes it hard to keep the FPS above 90. With out the ropes active I can get up to 120fps but as soon as I add in 1 rope it goes down to about 95 FPS and each added rope continues to lower the FPS. I have about 10 ropes in the view total and when they are all active the frames will drop to 60-70 FPS. Any ideas on what I can do to improve the performance to not make the frames tank so much?

Hi there,

If possible, you can switch from full-rope rendering to line rendering mode. This will reduce a low the mesh generation overhead for your ropes. However they will no longer be full-3D but instead camera-facing strips.

You can also reduce the amount of iterations (or even deactivate) of constraint types that are not crucial for your rope behaviour. For instance, if your ropes can tolerate some stretching, reducing the distance constraint iteration amount will help performance.

Also, you can switch the ObiSolver update mode from "FixedUpdate" to "LateUpdate". This will reduce simulation accuracy, but will improve performance. As an alternative, reduce Unity's max timestep setting or increase the physics timestep. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUVqa-72-Ms

cheers,