Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Cloth Collision Clipping through Collider
After trying to figure this out for 2 days now, I came to the conclusion, that i need some help from more experienced users. Since I'm a newbie to unity and obi. Just started with Unity this semester.

We're trying to accomplish to get a cylinder to collide with the cloth in way, so that you can see the cylinder and its edges pushing through the cloth, but not tearing it. Meanwhile the Cylinders Rotation on the X- and Z-axes is controlled by a devices accelerometer so the cylinder can tilt about 11 degrees in any direction. 

With the help of the tutorials I managed to set it up in a way that the cylinder and the cloth collide almost the way we wanted to (finer and sharper detail on the edges would be nice). 

The Problem appears when the cylinder tilts, at a certain point the cylinder starts clipping through the cloth. It seems to me like a minor problem, seeing the capabilities of obi cloth, but obviously my capabilities are limited. 

Can someone help me with setting up the cloth collision? 

It's for a university project which is due in 2 weeks so any quick help is appreciated immensely. 

I attached some Screenshots. One shows the design i want to accomplish, which i mocked up in PS. And the other screenshots show the unity project working and not working when tilted to the max. 

[attachment=628]
[attachment=627]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-03-2020, 01:59 PM)romanjjj Wrote: After trying to figure this out for 2 days now, I came to the conclusion, that i need some help from more experienced users. Since I'm a newbie to unity and obi. Just started with Unity this semester.

We're trying to accomplish to get a cylinder to collide with the cloth in way, so that you can see the cylinder and its edges pushing through the cloth, but not tearing it. Meanwhile the Cylinders Rotation on the X- and Z-axes is controlled by a devices accelerometer so the cylinder can tilt about 11 degrees in any direction. 

With the help of the tutorials I managed to set it up in a way that the cylinder and the cloth collide almost the way we wanted to (finer and sharper detail on the edges would be nice). 

The Problem appears when the cylinder tilts, at a certain point the cylinder starts clipping through the cloth. It seems to me like a minor problem, seeing the capabilities of obi cloth, but obviously my capabilities are limited. 

Can someone help me with setting up the cloth collision? 

It's for a university project which is due in 2 weeks so any quick help is appreciated immensely. 

I attached some Screenshots. One shows the design i want to accomplish, which i mocked up in PS. And the other screenshots show the unity project working and not working when tilted to the max. 

Hi,

Could be due to insufficient cloth resolution, particles with gaps between them, etc. Hard to tell from tour screenshots alone.

Add a ObiParticleRenderer component to the cloth to debug view the particles, and see how they're behaving:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ering.html

If you find the cylinder poking trough gaps in between particles, you can make particles slightly bigger, increase the amount of substeps and/or distance constraint iterations, etc. That will help getting a tighter particle-based approximation of the cloth surface.

Edit: I really hope you're not trying to use cloth simulation and lighting just to get the gradients for your UI. That would be extreme overkill in every possible way.  Gran sonrisa