Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android vs Ios
Hi,

I have built same application for both android and ios without changing anything. While, iphone 6 shows very high performance with ObiFluid, even samsung s8 with very high spesifications doesnt show the quarter performance of iphone6. I think there should be sth wrong with Obi android library ( not sure how to say). I really apreciate if you advice sth for this problem. Maybe, the library for android can be changed, I dont know really. Lastly I should note that, you are amazing and really interested in every problem that I mentioned. Thanks for your support.
Any advice? Will there be an update which proposes solution for problems with Android devices?

At least, for now, can I follow a way to solve this temporarily? It’s a really boring issue, bcs so many users have android devices. Thanks again.

(24-10-2017, 08:20 PM)mimarilker Wrote: Hi,

I have built same application for both android and ios without changing anything. While, iphone 6 shows very high performance with ObiFluid, even samsung s8 with very high spesifications doesnt show the quarter performance of iphone6. I think there should be sth wrong with Obi android library ( not sure how to say). I really apreciate if you advice sth for this problem. Maybe, the library for android can be changed, I dont know really. Lastly I should note that, you are amazing and really interested in every problem that I mentioned. Thanks for your support.
So, there’s no solution. At least, you may explain this frankly. Due to this low performance issue on android devies (it’s even valid for very high cpu devices- I have checked too many benchmark results comparing iphone7 and samsung s8, they show that s8 has better performance than iphone 7). However, as I said S8 doesnt show the quarter performance of iphone 6 even. Lastly, due to this problem, I have lost too many users and also money bcs of refund requests. Thanks!

(25-10-2017, 04:51 PM)mimarilker Wrote: Any advice? Will there be an update which proposes solution for problems with Android devices?

At least, for now, can I follow a way to solve this temporarily? It’s a really boring issue, bcs so many users have android devices. Thanks again.
(26-10-2017, 02:51 PM)mimarilker Wrote: So, there’s no solution. At least, you may explain this frankly. Due to this low performance issue on android devies (it’s even valid for very high cpu devices- I have checked too many benchmark results comparing iphone7 and samsung s8, they show that s8 has better performance than iphone 7). However, as I said S8 doesnt show the quarter performance of iphone 6 even. Lastly, due to this problem, I have lost too many users and also money bcs of refund requests. Thanks!

Hi there!

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been terribly busy. There should be no obvious performance difference between iOS and Android, since the library used and the implementation is exactly the same. Both are compiled with the same or equivalent compiler flags, too. I've tested on a Galaxy S4 and an iPhone 4S and performance is about the same in both.

This might indicate some other kind of issue. Do you see anything relevant in the android logcat? (errors, warnings, anything). I can't do much if the only info I get is "it runs slower in A than in B"
No, everything is ok with the built apk. The performance difference is really big as I said, I have tried my app in too many android devices, but unfortunately the result is same.
(26-10-2017, 05:02 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been terribly busy. There should be no obvious performance difference between iOS and Android, since the library used and the implementation is exactly the same. Both are compiled with the same or equivalent compiler flags, too. I've tested on a Galaxy S4 and an iPhone 4S and performance is about the same in both.

This might indicate some other kind of issue. Do you see anything relevant in the android logcat? (errors, warnings, anything).
(26-10-2017, 05:06 PM)mimarilker Wrote: No, everything is ok with the built apk. The performance difference is really big as I said, I have tried my app in too many android devices, but unfortunately the result is same.

Hi,

Are you positive that the performance issue is due to the physics lib? The only really big difference between the S8 and iPhone 7 is screen resolution: the S8's resolution is four times larger. That means four times more filltrate requirements, if you're doing any kind of full-screen shader processing (that includes ObiFluidRenderer) then your bottleneck might be rendering, not simulation.

If possible, profile the apk to see where the bottleneck is. As I said, deploying on devices with similar CPU/GPU/resolution characteristics I get about the same performance.
(26-10-2017, 05:23 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Are you positive that the performance issue is due to the physics lib? The only really big difference between the S8 and iPhone 7 is screen resolution: the S8's resolution is four times larger. That means four times more filltrate requirements, if you're doing any kind of full-screen shader processing (that includes ObiFluidRenderer) then your bottleneck might be rendering, not simulation.

If possible, profile the apk to see where the bottleneck is. As I said, deploying on devices with similar CPU/GPU/resolution characteristics I get about the same performance.

Hi, 

I am not doing full-screen shader processing (ObiFluidRenderer is unchecked on the emitter, too). You may easily reproduce this performance problem with just building von karman sample file on Android and IOS. I am exactly sure that most of the Android devices cannot handle this sample file.
(26-10-2017, 06:16 PM)mimarilker Wrote: Hi, 

I am not doing full-screen shader processing (ObiFluidRenderer is unchecked on the emitter, too). You may easily reproduce this performance problem with just building von karman sample file on Android and IOS. I am exactly sure that most of the Android devices cannot handle this sample file.

Ok, will try to and get back to you with any findings.
(26-10-2017, 06:31 PM)josemendez Wrote: Ok, will try to and get back to you with any findings.

Thanks a lot. Btw, I may share the .apk and .ipa file with you to test them.
Hi,

I have conducted cpu profiling on samsung s7 and sony xperia z5 for karman sample with 1800 particles emitted in 4 seconds (450 particles per second). In both of devices, cpu usages are very very high, this means that there’s no problem to attach obi fluid processes to cpus. On the other hand, most of the recent games can be run on these devices, however, they are not using cpu in such high level even. In brief, the obi fluid library should not be exactly same for both ios and android, as you said. It shoud be changed and optimized for Android. Otherwise this problem cannot be solved and we cannot use obi for Android. Lastly, I will have to draw back my app from playstore due to the refund requests coming after every purchase immediately. Please, bring a solution.

(26-10-2017, 06:36 PM)mimarilker Wrote: Thanks a lot. Btw, I may share the .apk and .ipa file with you to test them.