Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with Physics with terrains
Bug 
Hi,

I am building a custom terrain editor in-game and we are using obi fluid to demonstrate water.

When a fluid particle hits a sheer cliff made with a terrain, the speed gets multiplied and bounces back relative to the height of the heightmap at that point and the normal, this causes a shotgun effect and sends particles flying across the scene at a very high speed.  The taller and sharper the cliff side, the faster they go. 

If you happen to have a sharp drop ditch, they just bounce each off the walls and get even faster.

I believe I have a workaround by lowing the Collision Constraint SOR Factor to a very low number and limiting the height of the heightmap, so I dont think it is a big issue for me right now, but this is limiting when you give a user access to the terrain tools in-game.

Here's a video that shows the issue.

Frank
(12-10-2017, 07:09 PM)LandscpePerform Wrote: Hi,

I am building a custom terrain editor in-game and we are using obi fluid to demonstrate water.

When a fluid particle hits a sheer cliff made with a terrain, the speed gets multiplied and bounces back relative to the height of the heightmap at that point and the normal, this causes a shotgun effect and sends particles flying across the scene at a very high speed.  The taller and sharper the cliff side, the faster they go. 

If you happen to have a sharp drop ditch, they just bounce each off the walls and get even faster.

I believe I have a workaround by lowing the Collision Constraint SOR Factor to a very low number and limiting the height of the heightmap, so I dont think it is a big issue for me right now, but this is limiting when you give a user access to the terrain tools in-game.

Here's a video that shows the issue.

Frank

Hi Frank!

Thanks for finding and reporting this. Will take a look at it (really looks like a vector normalization issue). As soon as we get a patch I´ll send it to you.

cheers,