Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinch cloth two colliders
Hi guys, looking to know how I should approach "pinching" cloth by two cube colliders coming together in a pinching motion. Tried jacking up the stickiness and friction but it stills slides out between the cubes.

Cheers
(07-10-2017, 04:21 AM)interwound Wrote: Hi guys, looking to know how I should approach "pinching" cloth by two cube colliders coming together in a pinching motion. Tried jacking up the stickiness and friction but it stills slides out between the cubes.

Cheers

Hi!

In realtime physics in general, contact friction is never enough to keep a body perfectly in place between moving objects. Doing so would require using persistent contact manifolds and extremely accurate friction force calculations coupled with a quite small time step, all of which are a no-go for realtime stuff.

Best (most robust) approach would be detect which particles are colliding against both cubes and then fix in place them relative to the cubes. The is the approach most widely used in games for this kind of task.
(07-10-2017, 08:50 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

In realtime physics in general, contact friction is never enough to keep a body perfectly in place between moving objects. Doing so would require using persistent contact manifolds and extremely accurate friction force calculations coupled with a quite small time step, all of which are a no-go for realtime stuff.

Best (most robust) approach would be detect which particles are colliding against both cubes and then fix in place them relative to the cubes. The is the approach most widely used in games for this kind of task.

Thanks Jose, I suspected as much. I'm working on attaching handles upon collision – is this the direction you mean? 
(07-10-2017, 09:06 AM)interwound Wrote: Thanks Jose, I suspected as much. I'm working on attaching handles upon collision – is this the direction you mean? 

Yep, you can use handles for this.