Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whip like Tentacles but rubbery.
Hi All. 

Looking for ideas on how to approach making a rubbery tentacle/octopus arms that will have whip stretchy like action to grab things. 

When you walk I'd like it to dangle and bounce like its made of rubber (maybe use Obi-Softbody) and when it attacks/ whip / swipe like action. 
behaving most like a whip.  Is this even possible / practical with procedural animation. Or should I just animate it in blender? 

I already own Obi-Rope but getting the impression it won't behave like I want it to. Ie. Not the right approach.

Thank for any Ideas!
(31-07-2023, 07:01 PM)idmah Wrote: Hi All. 

Looking for ideas on how to approach making a rubbery tentacle/octopus arms that will have whip stretchy like action to grab things. 

When you walk I'd like it to dangle and bounce like its made of rubber (maybe use Obi-Softbody) and when it attacks/ whip / swipe like action. 
behaving most like a whip.  Is this even possible / practical with procedural animation. Or should I just animate it in blender? 

I already own Obi-Rope but getting the impression it won't behave like I want it to. Ie. Not the right approach.

Thank for any Ideas!

Hi!

Imho, ObiRope would be a far better match for tentacles - specifically rods. It is designed with rope-like object simulation in mind, e.g. you can independently control bending/stretching/torsion stiffness, you can query and set the length of the ropes, etc. Obi Softbody is intended for general softbody simulation so it would not give you nearly as much control for this.

It's possible to do it using procedural animation (pretty much anything is!), but whether it is practical or not depends a lot on the kind of game mechanics you have in mind.

(31-07-2023, 07:01 PM)idmah Wrote: I already own Obi-Rope but getting the impression it won't behave like I want it to.

What exactly is not behaving like you would want it to?
I haven't coded anything yet. Just exploring ideas for this project.  I want a lot of secondary action and feeling of weight. 
So leaning to just animating it.  

But seeing your Snake example. 
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-2885.html

I might mess around with that idea for a while. Since I do love what Obi-Ropes can do. 
wanted to try to bring something like this to life. 

Where movement is propagated from the base along the length thus the whip like idea. 

[Image: png-clipart-octopus-tentacle-3d-octopus.png]