Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi roadmap
I take it this feature isn't being actively developed anymore?

If not I'd still love to mess around with what you have. It looks perfect for a little demo/project I'd like to try. Any chance for an unsupported release? Thanks!
(07-01-2022, 03:15 AM)nocanwin Wrote: I take it this feature isn't being actively developed anymore?

If not I'd still love to mess around with what you have. It looks perfect for a little demo/project I'd like to try. Any chance for an unsupported release? Thanks!

Hi there,

Yes, still being developed. The main hurdle is that for it to be of any benefit, rendering cannot be done using the CPU to avoid having to read data back from the GPU (as it currently is). So the entire rendering pipeline has to be replicated x3 (oni, burst and compute), separated into each backend which is a lot of work.

Will give more details shortly. Sonrisa
(10-01-2022, 08:19 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Yes, still being developed. The main hurdle is that for it to be of any benefit, rendering cannot be done using the CPU to avoid having to read data back from the GPU (as it currently is). So the entire rendering pipeline has to be replicated x3 (oni, burst and compute), separated into each backend which is a lot of work.

Will give more details shortly. Sonrisa

Great! Gran sonrisa
Just saw the preview for Obi 7 running on the compute backend, looks super impressive! :)

I have two questions though:

- Is this only going to improve performance for simulations with tens of thousands of particles, or is there also a benefit to use the compute backend for relatively low particle count and high quality simulations with high solver substeps / low fixed timestep?

- How much is it going to restrict scripting with particles? Can you still do things like selectively modifying particles touching a trigger collider or is that out of the question?
(30-06-2022, 07:50 AM)locque Wrote: - Is this only going to improve performance for simulations with tens of thousands of particles, or is there also a benefit to use the compute backend for relatively low particle count and high quality simulations with high solver substeps / low fixed timestep?

Depends on your GPU, but for particle counts below 1500-2000 the CPU ias usually faster.

(30-06-2022, 07:50 AM)locque Wrote: - How much is it going to restrict scripting with particles? Can you still do things like selectively modifying particles touching a trigger collider or is that out of the question?

Will restrict things a bit, but hopefully not too much.

I'm reading some data back to the CPU asynchronously: kick an async readback at the end of each frame, and at the start of the next physics step we wait for the data. Currently only particle velocities and positions are read back, this yields good performance and allows for basic things like attachments and spatial queries to happen on the CPU.

My initial idea was to read back contacts too. This would allow for contact callbacks, the problem is that this places the burden on the user: "here's an array with +200.000 contacts, now iterate trough them to find the ones you're interested in."

To only option I can think of to alleviate this is to expose the contacts in a ComputeBuffer directly. Then, hope the user is comfortable enough with compute shaders to process contact data without it ever leaving the GPU. Out of the box I also want to offer basic stuff implemented on top of this (triggers that kill particles, for instance).

As a side note: all rendering/mesh updating is now done differently for each backend. The Compute backend does it using compute shaders, the Burst backend does it using Jobs which results in a very nice performance boost (very noticeable for cloth and ropes, not so much for fluids and softbodies).
Hey, is there any ETA on the Obi 7 release?
(13-10-2022, 10:25 PM)Softscale Wrote: Hey, is there any ETA on the Obi 7 release?

I was initially aiming at November, but the way things are going I'd say mid December. Spending as much time as possible in front of the keyboard, really want to get it finished asap.

cheers,
(14-10-2022, 08:09 AM)josemendez Wrote: I was initially aiming at November, but the way things are going I'd say mid December. Spending as much time as possible in front of the keyboard, really want to get it finished asap.

cheers,

Hi, we are looking forward to the Obi 7. Any news on the release date?
(20-12-2022, 02:50 AM)xxxh123 Wrote: Hi, we are looking forward to the Obi 7. Any news on the release date?

Hi!

It's taking longer than anticipated due to stability issues, which we want to completely get rid of before releasing. So realistically speaking, it will be released when these are fixed. Of course I would like that to be as soon as possible, but it's hard to say exactly when!

Thanks for your patience, kind regards.
(20-12-2022, 08:31 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

It's taking longer than anticipated due to stability issues, which we want to completely get rid of before releasing. So realistically speaking, it will be released when these are fixed. Of course I would like that to be as soon as possible, but it's hard to say exactly when!

Thanks for your patience, kind regards.

2023 is lit with Obi7 compute backend  Corazón