Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make Obi Softbody Skinner working properly?
Hi,

Playing around with Obi Softbody and I got some issues. I tried to follow the steps of the document but I could not make it work properly.

1. As you can see in the image attached, once I applied softbody to a skinned mesh, it ignores the bone animation. It seems it only follows the parent bone's transform.
2. When I hit optimize button, the character gets broken. All vertices of the skinned mesh goes wrong doesn't matter if I bind the skin after it or not.
[attachment=451]
I looked into the ElasticCharacter.scene to find any information but could not get anything.
I suppose the issue 1 and 2 is relevant and both could be solved easily.
Could you please point out what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Snail
(03-11-2019, 06:12 PM)Snail921 Wrote: Hi,

Playing around with Obi Softbody and I got some issues. I tried to follow the steps of the document but I could not make it work properly.

1. As you can see in the image attached, once I applied softbody to a skinned mesh, it ignores the bone animation. It seems it only follows the parent bone's transform.
2. When I hit optimize button, the character gets broken. All vertices of the skinned mesh goes wrong doesn't matter if I bind the skin after it or not.

I looked into the ElasticCharacter.scene to find any information but could not get anything.
I suppose the issue 1 and 2 is relevant and both could be solved easily.
Could you please point out what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Snail

Hi,

Try reducing the skinning max distance and re-binding the skinner. Probably, the default value is too high and many mesh vertices are being bound to the simulation instead of the animation.

Let me know if that fixes it.
(04-11-2019, 03:04 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Try reducing the skinning max distance and re-binding the skinner. Probably, the default value is too high and many mesh vertices are being bound to the simulation instead of the animation.

Let me know if that fixes it.

Thanks for your reply.
I tried feeding smaller values to the skinning max distance of the skinner. By feeding smaller than 0.04 or so, I started watching some difference but even I gave very small value like 5e-05, the simulation never get good enough.

How do you think? Is there any other thing I should try?
(04-11-2019, 04:52 PM)Snail921 Wrote: Thanks for your reply.
I tried feeding smaller values to the skinning max distance of the skinner. By feeding smaller than 0.04 or so, I started watching some difference but even I gave very small value like 5e-05, the simulation never get good enough.

How do you think? Is there any other thing I should try?

Hi,

Add a ObiParticleRenderer component to your softbody, so be able to clearly see where particles are being added, and how the resulting softbody deforms. Maybe you need to make more particles (decrease particle radius) or make larger shape matching clusters.
Thanks for the another advice.
Indeed I had set the particle radius very small as 0.01 and had particles on each vertex of the character.
[attachment=456]
As you can see in the Image, the particles had painted properly.

After doing some more experiments I found it working properly by hitting Optimize after setting Skinning Max Distance relatively low such as 0.01.
[attachment=457]
I am not sure if this workflow matches your thought, but the result matches my need anyway.