Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi Fluid or Softbody for VR slime?
Hi all,

I’d like to design a VR game where you control a JRPG-like slime, but I’m not sure which Obi app to use. What I want is to have it so the VR camera is at the “top” of the slime body, and when you reach “outside” of the slime body with the controllers, the body stretches to match to make the slime’s arms that can then pick up items, stretch to reach things, fight, etc. 

What would be the best way to go about this in your opinion?

Thanks!
(28-10-2019, 08:41 PM)Csr2139 Wrote: Hi all,

I’d like to design a VR game where you control a JRPG-like slime, but I’m not sure which Obi app to use. What I want is to have it so the VR camera is at the “top” of the slime body, and when you reach “outside” of the slime body with the controllers, the body stretches to match to make the slime’s arms that can then pick up items, stretch to reach things, fight, etc. 

What would be the best way to go about this in your opinion?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I don't quite imagine what you describe, but sounds to me neither soft bodies or fluids are required to achieve it. If all you need to to is "wrap" a slime-like blob around the player, good old skinned meshes would suffice.

Both fluids and softbodies are quite performance hungry (specially fluids) so unless you have a very good gameplay-founded reason to use physics for this I'd use a simpler method.