Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrap rope around objects
Hello

I am trying to make rope collision so that it won't go past objects because I want to be able to wrap the rope around instead of skipping through it. So far I haven't been able to replicate this effect but have tried multiple times.

What is the best options/settings to use in ObiSolver or ObiRope to make this possible? =o

Best regards
Kas
(21-10-2019, 06:12 PM)KasSanity Wrote: Hello

I am trying to make rope collision so that it won't go past objects because I want to be able to wrap the rope around instead of skipping through it. So far I haven't been able to replicate this effect but have tried multiple times.

What is the best options/settings to use in ObiSolver or ObiRope to make this possible? =o

Best regards
Kas

Hi,

First of all make sure that rope resolution is high enough that colliders do not pass right rough gaps between particles (use the ObiParticleRenderer to see the actual particles). Then, make sure both distance and collision constraint iterations are high enough, or use multiple substeps.

Note that wrapping relatively long ropes tightly around objects is difficult, as you need very high simulation accuracy for stable results. Hitting the right performance/stability balance requires careful tweaking of parameters. Not Obi's fault, object wrapping is widely regarded as a very challenging simulation scenario. That's why geometric solutions are used for this, instead of simulation. Zen Bound, the fishing rod in Umihara Kawase and the ninja rope in Worms are all examples of this.