Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this asset viable for this?
I'm thinking about using this asset for my next project, a blacksmith game. Would this asset be viable for simulating a pliable metal? What I mean precisely is whether the deformations this asset provides are physically correct (enough) to allow for predictable manipulation (for example a metal rod that could be flattened and its volume wouldn't change in the process). The other aspect is changing the properties of the softbody in runtime to make it more/less pliable. The last thing is the max "resolution" of the softbody. Could I make it very precise and realistic or are there limits when it comes to changing the particle size?
(28-09-2019, 05:49 PM)wojwen Wrote: I'm thinking about using this asset for my next project, a blacksmith game. Would this asset be viable for simulating a pliable metal? What I mean precisely is whether the deformations this asset provides are physically correct (enough) to allow for predictable manipulation (for example a metal rod that could be flattened and its volume wouldn't change in the process). The other aspect is changing the properties of the softbody in runtime to make it more/less pliable. The last thing is the max "resolution" of the softbody. Could I make it very precise and realistic or are there limits when it comes to changing the particle size?

Hi there,

No, softbodies do not enforce volume conservation. Also, you'd need pretty high resolution (tiny particles) to get the metal to behave realistically, and this would have a large impact on performance.

Also, topological changes aren't allowed as they're very expensive (you cannot "fuse" together parts of the same object, or separate them). Katana blades for instance are folded over themselves multiple times to strengthen the metal, this is something you would not be able to do.