Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compile errors => What Unity version to use ?
Hi,

Purchased the plugin yesterday, tried with unity 2018.1.0 and the latest 2018.3.11f1.

Same errors.

Doing menu > obi > about > install doesnt fix the errors.

What version of unity must i use ? on the asset store it says "Package has been submitted using Unity 2018.1.0."

Also in the 2018.3.11f1 i can press play and it works, and on the other version it says all compiler errors must be fixed.

[Image: obi_errors.png]
Im trying to use this, 

I follow the softbody character setup http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...tbody.html

when i press Edit Particles, there is this error :

[Image: obi_more_errors.png]

Also when i add the particle renderer component :

it shows particles on the surface of the object but no particles inside is this normal ?

I need the softbody volume, not just surface because that sucks hard, can you tell me that this softbody is volumetric, if not i will ask a refund asap.

I hope the particles inside of the volume are hidden for performance reasons. And also the particle renderer script makes the editor run slow. I have a gtx 970.
I used Nvidia Flex plugin and their voxelized softbody has particles inside visible. I need confirmation that this is also the case in obi softbody.

Here on this screenshot i moved the softbody on the side to show the particles.

[Image: obi_particles_surface.png]
(03-04-2019, 06:32 AM)GameKitten Wrote: Im trying to use this, 

I follow the softbody character setup http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...tbody.html

when i press Edit Particles, there is this error :

[Image: obi_more_errors.png]

Also when i add the particle renderer component :

it shows particles on the surface of the object but no particles inside is this normal ?

I need the softbody volume, not just surface because that sucks hard, can you tell me that this softbody is volumetric, if not i will ask a refund asap.

I hope the particles inside of the volume are hidden for performance reasons. And also the particle renderer script makes the editor run slow. I have a gtx 970.
I used Nvidia Flex plugin and their voxelized softbody has particles inside visible. I need confirmation that this is also the case in obi softbody.

Here on this screenshot i moved the softbody on the side to show the particles.

[Image: obi_particles_surface.png]

Hi,

Your plugin is not installed correctly. Make sure you delete the /Obi folder completely, then reimport it.

Obi does not place particles inside the volume of the object, unlike Flex. This is because it uses oriented particles, which makes it unnecessary. Shape matching is unconditionally stable when adding orientation information to particles, but when using only positions you need densely sampled volumes to maintain stability. In addition to this, having per-particle orientations enables us to use ellipsoids instead of spheres to better approximate the shape of the object. So our technique is more accurate, stabler and computationally cheaper than Flex's.

Constraints however do consider all particles inside a given volume and try to keep their rest shape, so the simulation is fully volumetric. This is the paper our technology is based on:

http://matthias-mueller-fischer.ch/publi...ticles.pdf
I create BLANK project, when project loads i go to asset store tab -> my assets -> obi softbody -> import

When it is done importing, tons of errors.

Delete obi folder

Re import, same errors.

This doesnt work in any way in 2018.1.0f2.

And in the last version of unity i had another error blocking me line 330 particleMaterial None object. Damnit.

I recorded the project creation and obi softbody import in unity.

See for yourself. Errors apears directly after import.
Clearing the output panel, they come back, play a few times, no more errors.

So the errors are normal ?

(03-04-2019, 08:04 AM)GameKitten Wrote: I create BLANK project, when project loads i go to asset store tab -> my assets -> obi softbody -> import

When it is done importing, tons of errors.

Delete obi folder

Re import, same errors.

This doesnt work in any way in 2018.1.0f2.

And in the last version of unity i had another error blocking me line 330 particleMaterial None object. Damnit.

I recorded the project creation and obi softbody import in unity.

See for yourself. Errors apears directly after import.
Clearing the output panel, they come back, play a few times, no more errors.

So the errors are normal ?

Hi,

These errors are different from the ones in your first post, which were null references to missing assets (meaning not all assets in the package were correctly imported). A DllNotFoundException means Unity has not had a chance to load a dynamic library, which is not surprising considering Unity only loads/unloads plugins upon startup. Note this is not specific to Obi, but an issue common to all native plugins. It is both mentioned in the Unity documentation as well as within Unity itself, in the form of a warning when you select any native plugin:

[Image: x4bZs7C.png]

Simply restarting Unity should make the error disappear, as it will look for the plugin and find it upon startup.
Ok,

I managed to make some softbody work on my character model, in unity 2018.1.0f2.

I am discovering what the various params do. Results are nice and look more reliable than flex, flex collisions on softbody are so wrong, they are ignored 90% of the time.

Thanks for the fast answers.

I got another question, can i attach multiple softbody objects to the same skinned mesh, deforming different parts of the skin. Some of them are located on the same bone, and some are on different bones. Will this create a mess with the skinning max distance/falloff from the different sources.

I'm also having a hard time selecting precisely the particles to fix in the editor, doesnt seem like the cull backfacing particles does anything, and since they are all the same color, i have to spin around the model to see what belongs to what.

Anyways it works, money was well invested this time. haha.