Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Ideas to improve fly fishing simulation
(17-02-2019, 12:39 PM)josemendez Wrote: You could fix the first few particles (2-3) at the beginning of the rope, near the end of the rod. This will allow bend constraints to prevent the rope from pivoting around a single particle, because the first few particles define a straight line that is propagated as the "intended" direction. Make sure you do use bend constraints though!

Would cranking up the anisotropy setting of the solver also help? Fixing the last few segments really didn't help too much. The rope just spins around the last unfixed segment.

Quote:The effect seen in the image is not due to aerodynamics, but the fact that the tip of the rope is heavier than the rest of it. Simply attaching something heavy to the tip, or better yet increasing the mass of the particles at the tip should work.

I ended up increasing the mass of the particles at the end of the line. For a fly fishing line, I'm guessing I may want to go lighter than the default .1 (kg?)? Thinking more, I could  get really fancy here and actually mimic the weight profile of a typical fly line, which is usually tapered with the head section being the heaviest.

Here's where I'm at so far: http://imgur.com/a/CDNf6xd

Notes...
  • The rope feels too much like a rubber band; It is really springy.
  • The rope is too stiff.
  • Stack mending/roll casting is working pretty well actually, thanks in part I think to the above bullet points Sonrisa
Any suggestions on how to counter the rubber-bandyness and stiffness. What knobs should I focus on adjusting? 

The next big thing I want to try is adding some flex to the rod itself, i.e. mimic a fly rod. My theory is that having the rod flex where the rope is attached will reduce the chance that the line will snap back.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ideas to improve fly fishing simulation - by ChumLee - 17-02-2019, 10:36 PM