Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS4 and XBox Platform Support
Pregunta 
Hi,

I've a question about platform support in the near future. I've found that PS4 and Xbox could be added.
What's your plan about supporting PS4 and XBox platform, and also do you consider to support Nitendo Switch platform in the future?

I know it's holiday time, but I'll be thankful for fast replay.

Thanks, Bolo
(10-08-2017, 07:13 PM)BoloPL Wrote: Hi,

I've a question about platform support in the near future. I've found that PS4 and Xbox could be added.
What's your plan about supporting PS4 and XBox platform, and also do you consider to support Nitendo Switch platform in the future?

I know it's holiday time, but I'll be thankful for fast replay.

Thanks, Bolo

Hi!

We do want to support PS4 and XBox, and we're looking into ways to make it happen. A few months ago we had a couple Obi users trying to help compiling the library for these platforms (as we do not own them or have any experience with the SDKs), but nothing useable came out of that.

Same with Nintendo Switch. The intention is there, but we don't know when we'll be able to compile the library for it, if at all. 

So for all intents and purposes, the "boolean" version of the answer is false. Do not plan ahead assuming support for these platforms will be coming soon, as we will need help with it and it looks difficult to get.

cheers!
(12-08-2017, 06:20 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

We do want to support PS4 and XBox, and we're looking into ways to make it happen. A few months ago we had a couple Obi users trying to help compiling the library for these platforms (as we do not own them or have any experience with the SDKs), but nothing useable came out of that.

Same with Nintendo Switch. The intention is there, but we don't know when we'll be able to compile the library for it, if at all. 

So for all intents and purposes, the "boolean" version of the answer is false. Do not plan ahead assuming support for these platforms will be coming soon, as we will need help with it and it looks difficult to get.

cheers!

Is there an update on this? I read somewhere that you were working on integrating into Unity's ECS, but haven't found any recent info. I'm really interested in Obi Rope, but I'm kinda dependant on having it compatible with consoles.
(25-10-2019, 02:06 PM)hSkar Wrote: Is there an update on this? I read somewhere that you were working on integrating into Unity's ECS, but haven't found any recent info. I'm really interested in Obi Rope, but I'm kinda dependant on having it compatible with consoles.

Hi there,

We're on our way, but will take quite while. We tried porting what we had directly to ECS, but the amount of work was so huge that we decided to do it gradually.

First step we've taken is Obi 5.0, which we are going to release during the next weeks. It completely decouples data from runtime simulation, which allows us to apply Jobs+Burst much easier, and allows much better retrocompatibility between Obi versions.

Next step after that is switching the solver from C++ to DOTS, but that won't happen until Obi 6.0.
(25-10-2019, 02:50 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

We're on our way, but will take quite while. We tried porting what we had directly to ECS, but the amount of work was so huge that we decided to do it gradually.

First step we've taken is Obi 5.0, which we are going to release during the next weeks. It completely decouples data from runtime simulation, which allows us to apply Jobs+Burst much easier, and allows much better retrocompatibility between Obi versions.

Next step after that is switching the solver from C++ to DOTS, but that won't happen until Obi 6.0.

I understand. Good luck on this seemingly daunting task. I will be waiting patiently!
Quick Question - Is there any hope that other platform support could be available before August 2020?
( or better not hope and use something alternative to Obi products Triste )
The developer of Area 86 
https://simdevs.com
(20-05-2020, 03:35 PM)Kristaps Wrote: Quick Question - Is there any hope that other platform support could be available before August 2020?
( or better not hope and use something alternative to Obi products Triste )

Hi there,

We're giving finishing touches to the Burst backend, so yes. By august (way sooner, actually) there will be support for all platforms supported by Burst.
Estrella 
OMG - You are the best!!!
Sonrisa
The developer of Area 86 
https://simdevs.com