Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
License
Hi,
Where can I find a detailed license of Obi Rope?
(20-07-2017, 02:01 PM)Mateusz_Madein Wrote: Hi,
Where can I find a detailed license of Obi Rope?

Hi Mateusz,

What do you mean by a detailed license? Do you mean terms of use or something like that?
(21-07-2017, 06:09 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Mateusz,

What do you mean by a detailed license? Do you mean terms of use or something like that?

I have the same question.

I manage a group of student projects at my university, where we are developing a virtual science lab in which school students can train to perform the experiments prescribed in their textbooks.

It's early days yet, but given the huge and exploding population of the country, the potential number of users is very high!

In order to ensure that this work does not get stuck behind paywalls, we are working in open-source mode. However, we would, of course, not want to cause financial damage to Obi/VirtualMethod. Hence, before we proceed, we would like to know what it would be ok to share in our public repositories and what we should not?

Thanks!
(03-09-2019, 03:19 PM)tobateksingh Wrote: I have the same question.

I manage a group of student projects at my university, where we are developing a virtual science lab in which school students can train to perform the experiments prescribed in their textbooks.

It's early days yet, but given the huge and exploding population of the country, the potential number of users is very high!

In order to ensure that this work does not get stuck behind paywalls, we are working in open-source mode. However, we would, of course, not want to cause financial damage to Obi/VirtualMethod. Hence, before we proceed, we would like to know what it would be ok to share in our public repositories and what we should not?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Generally speaking, assets in the store operate under a pay once/use in as many projects as you want kind of deal. This makes sense for small developers, as they don't have large budgets, and most of their projects never actually see the light of day.

Larger companies however, tend to make much more $$ and have lots of seats with the asset installed. Some workers probably will just copy the asset and take it home from work. We deliberately take a hit here to benefit small developers and allow the asset to expand.

Open source projects however have the potential to expose the asset to a much higher amount of people. For this reason I think it makes sense to refrain from sharing the asset in your public repos, listing it as a dependency instead, since Obi itself is not open source.

If this is not possible for whatever reason, we can work to find a reasonable solution.
I am tagging onto this thread because it exists and has a very general title.

I am a solo developer and am trying to hire a sound designer to help me. They need to download the repo which is otherwise private. Is there a way to remove part of Obi Rope from my project such that it still runs in the editor but does not violate the license?

I'm having to remove a lot of packages like RayFire because it's $200 a pop, so I thought maybe it's possible to make Obi Rope runnable without being editable, or something.

Obi Rope is pretty central to my project because the player has a vacuum cleaner and I'm using Obi for the hose (and it is awesome). So if no alternative, I will just buy a second license and assign it to the sound designer (who is part of my Unity Organisation) even though they won't know it's there. I am very careful with licenses and don't want to break the rules.

Thanks!
(14-03-2024, 01:32 AM)bad.penny.games Wrote: I am tagging onto this thread because it exists and has a very general title.

I am a solo developer and am trying to hire a sound designer to help me. They need to download the repo which is otherwise private. Is there a way to remove part of Obi Rope from my project such that it still runs in the editor but does not violate the license?

I'm having to remove a lot of packages like RayFire because it's $200 a pop, so I thought maybe it's possible to make Obi Rope runnable without being editable, or something.

Obi Rope is pretty central to my project because the player has a vacuum cleaner and I'm using Obi for the hose (and it is awesome). So if no alternative, I will just buy a second license and assign it to the sound designer (who is part of my Unity Organisation) even though they won't know it's there. I am very careful with licenses and don't want to break the rules.

Thanks!

Hi there!

Obi’s license is per seat, all code is included with it and editable should you need to make any changes to it. This said, at the end of the day there’s no way to enforce proper use of licenses in practice, so it is entirely trust based.

If it’s only going to be another dev helping you and you trust him to not distribute Obi, then I trust him too. Sonrisa

Kind regards,
(17-03-2024, 10:39 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

Obi’s license is per seat, all code is included with it and editable should you need to make any changes to it. This said, at the end of the day there’s no way to enforce proper use of licenses in practice, so it is entirely trust based.

If it’s only going to be another dev helping you and you trust him to not distribute Obi, then I trust him too. Sonrisa

Kind regards,

Thank you. Your attitude is refreshing. You're so awesome and the package is so great for my project that I bought another license anyway!