Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Obi Rope Collisions
(08-02-2023, 05:11 PM)JohnnyCircuits Wrote: Hi,

I realize that I may be beating a dead horse here, but I have read through some of the forums about my current issue but I have been unable to get this working.

I am currently working on a VR project that teaches med student on how to use a defibrillator. This entails using ropes (Obi Rope) to connect various plugs and pads that would connect to the defibrillator. That said, all of my cables go straight through, well everything, and this is with Surface-based collisions checked. All of these objects have colliders and Obi Colliders attached to them. I have played with the settings of the Obi Solver as well as the rope blueprints with no success.

Hi!

Your solver's MaxDepenetration parameter is set to 0.01. This means particles are only allowed to modify their velocity by up to 1 centimeter/second in response to a collision, which is so little that in practice they won't react to collisions in any noticeable way. The default value for this parameter is 10, most useful values for it are in that ballpark unless you're going for a special effect (for instance, very low values like 0.5 can be used to mimic buoyancy in an large box collider).

(08-02-2023, 05:11 PM)JohnnyCircuits Wrote: On another note, I am also trying to stitch two ropes together and I am sorry to say, this looks bad lol. I am trying to have them stitch together at a specific point. I am using the Obi Stitcher script. If I do not add a stitch count then nothing happens at all.

This is completely normal: the stitcher component allows you to stitch together the particle pairs you're interested in being stitched. If you don't add any stitches, it stands to reason that no stitching will take place.

Also note that stitching particles together does not disable collision detection between them, so unless particle collisions are disabled or collision filters specifically forbid collisions between these specific particles, they will still collide with each other.

(08-02-2023, 05:11 PM)JohnnyCircuits Wrote: If I add a stitch then they connect but not how I would like to see them attach. Thoughts?

A stitch just makes sure that the position of the 2 particles involved is the same.
How would you like to see them attach, exactly? It's hard to give any pointers/recommendations without any indication of what the intended result is.

As a side note, there's a warning in your ObiSolver stating that you haven't installed Burst (or some of the other required packages). This will severely limit the platforms your project can target and will also negatively affect performance, unless its not possible for some reason it's recommended you use the Burst backend:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...kends.html

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
Obi Rope Collisions - by JohnnyCircuits - 08-02-2023, 05:11 PM
RE: Obi Rope Collisions - by josemendez - 08-02-2023, 05:23 PM
RE: Obi Rope Collisions - by JohnnyCircuits - 10-02-2023, 03:37 PM
RE: Obi Rope Collisions - by josemendez - 10-02-2023, 04:12 PM