Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skinned character with a non-skinned garmet
Hello. I purchased the Obi Cloth and I was playing around with it. It is a good tool. I used it even for toon stylized dynamic hair and works wonderfully.

But I'm wondering if the following scenario is possible:

1) I have a rigged/skinned/animated character skinned Mesh.
2) I have a T-pose robe (i.e. the coat from the demo you provide with the asset) BUT it is not skinned/rigged.
3) The robe (2) is designed to cover naturally the (1) character Mesh in T-pose.

Is there any way with Obi cloth asset or any of the other assets provided in the package, to play the animation in the character Mesh (1), and the robe (2) to ACTUALLY FOLLOW ALONG that animation via colliders or something?
Like dressing my character with different Meshes (robes (2)) and not having to set-up the rigging/skinning of the robe Meshes (2) in 3dsMax as well?

And if it is possible, is it too much performance-expensive?

Thank you in advance.
Great tool I ll write a review in the asset store!
(05-02-2018, 09:11 AM)zazoum Wrote: Hello. I purchased the Obi Cloth and I was playing around with it. It is a good tool. I used it even for toon stylized dynamic hair and works wonderfully.

But I'm wondering if the following scenario is possible:

1) I have a rigged/skinned/animated character skinned Mesh.
2) I have a T-pose robe (i.e. the coat from the demo you provide with the asset) BUT it is not skinned/rigged.
3) The robe (2) is designed to cover naturally the (1) character Mesh in T-pose.

Is there any way with Obi cloth asset or any of the other assets provided in the package, to play the animation in the character Mesh (1), and the robe (2) to ACTUALLY FOLLOW ALONG that animation via colliders or something?
Like dressing my character with different Meshes (robes (2)) and not having to set-up the rigging/skinning of the robe Meshes (2) in 3dsMax as well?

And if it is possible, is it too much performance-expensive?

Thank you in advance.
Great tool I ll write a review in the asset store!

Hi there,

This is not possible to achieve in realtime in the general case. Collision detection of deformable mesh (cloth) vs deformable mesh (character) is extremely expensive.

There are some advances in this field using purely GPU-based physics engines, but then again 1 character on screen at moderate frame rates is the best you can hope for. Not even near good enough for game character clothing.

cheers,
Thank you for your fast reply! I ll write my review now.