Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lumpy Water
(07-02-2022, 07:20 AM)devPatrick Wrote: Hello, I have an issue I hope you can help me with.  For lack of anything better to call it, I'm calling it lumpy (surface) water.  

I have a 'glass' cube with Obi Fluid in it.  For the fluid, I'm using the particle renderer with enlarged particles.  For the cube, I have Obi colliders on the interior walls and a menu to allow the user to control the dimensions of the cube.

When the fluid particles are first produced, they settle out about how you would expect- relatively flat surface.  In playing around with the cube dimensions, however I can produce a non-flat surfaces like the one illustrated in the image below.  Notice the large bulge on the left side compared to the ride side.  I took the screenshot after the particles had settled.

I've also produced smaller 'lumps' than what's depicted in the picture.  Additionally, I noticed this odd lumping behavior in a different environment in which I was using the emitter to produce a continuous stream through a cube-like channel (like a pipe, but with cubed/squared walls).

Edit:
After playing with the constraints some more, I'm guessing this is just a result of not having enough iterations on the Density constraint (higher iterations almost eliminates the lumpy affect).

Hi!

This could just be a result of the fact that fluids are discretized. There's very few particles in your fluid, and it seems to be only 2 - 3 vertical layers of them: the top layer might just have not enough particles to fill the entire surface, so depending on where it's positioned it will look like a "lump". If you set the solver's max anisotropy to zero, particles will be rendered as spheres and this issue will become apparent.

Using more surface tension, more density iterations, more substeps or simply more particles should help.

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
Lumpy Water - by devPatrick - 07-02-2022, 07:20 AM
RE: Lumpy Water - by josemendez - 07-02-2022, 09:03 AM
RE: Lumpy Water - by devPatrick - 07-02-2022, 09:36 AM
RE: Lumpy Water - by josemendez - 07-02-2022, 09:48 AM
RE: Lumpy Water - by devPatrick - 10-02-2022, 12:50 AM
RE: Lumpy Water - by josemendez - 10-02-2022, 08:47 AM