Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can I adjust to stop a cloth from doing through a collision mesh?
(27-01-2022, 11:50 AM)MoonBoop Wrote: [*]Im using the burst backend for obi cloth
[*]regular cloth. I may have to move to a skinned mesh later on, but for now I just need to get the base generation process working.
[*]The character has a mesh collider with an obi cloth collider attached to it

Based on these answers I assume you're not going for realtime character cloth, but for an off-line virtual try-on type of application. Correct? If so, MeshColliders have many disadvantages when it comes to representing an avatar body: they're "hollow" (only the surface can generate collisions, so once an object gets inside of them it cannot get outside) and they're considerably costly.

If you don't need the avatar to use skeletal animation, Distance fields are almost always a better alternative to MeshColliders: much more robust and cheap. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ields.html

If you do need skeletal animation, approximate the character's body using primitive colliders instead.

(27-01-2022, 11:50 AM)MoonBoop Wrote: [*]That part im not sure about.

If unsure you're probably using regular collisions. Surface collisions can be used by enabling the "surface collisions" checkbox in the cloth. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...sions.html

(27-01-2022, 11:50 AM)MoonBoop Wrote: [*]im using one solver with 1 sub step. I found adding more subsets made the cloth behave less predictably.

Substeps largely determine simulation quality. 1 substep will yield very poor simulation quality. If the cloth behaves less predictably with more substeps, it only means there's issues that become more obvious when increasing the accuracy of the simulation.

Try using at least 4 substeps, avoid MeshColliders (specially concave ones), and use surface collisions if possible.

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
RE: What can I adjust to stop a cloth from doing through a collision mesh? - by josemendez - 27-01-2022, 11:59 AM