Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tons of problems trying to simulate simple rope without elasticity
Hi,

Went ahead and replicated your original scene. You can find the scene and all associated assets attached in this wetransfer link:
https://we.tl/t-ML2mYnC7Rf

Here's a video of it:

I aimed at a very easy to bend, zero-stretch rope with high contact friction and a light object attached to its end. As you can see the simulation is very snappy, extremely robust under violent motion, zero jittering, no gaps, comes at a perfect rest very easily. Runs at > 600 fps (1.5 ms/frame) in a Core i7.

I'm not 100% sure the behavior of the rope is what you were originally after, maybe it could be a bit more rigid (the kind of cord in the image you posted above tends to be quite rigid and has some plasticity to it). Also the scale of the scene is quite large: that clip is definitely not as small as a real-world clip, but based on the grid seen in your original video I think it's pretty close to yours.

let me know if I can be of further help or if you'd wish specific adjustments to this scene to be made.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tons of problems trying to simulate simple rope without elasticity - by josemendez - 13-01-2022, 09:04 AM