Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Performance optimization help
Hello again,

I'm have setup a new scene with same environment but now I duplicated that 1 rope 3 times and put it all in the same solver. Now we have 3 rope with 50 static attachment points and 1 dynamic attachment point (I changed the other 2 duplicated rope to be all static attachment). This is just to estimate how much more performance do I need when the real new phase app start developing.

First let me answer some concern that you have rise,

Quote:I notice your blueprint's thickness is 0.0022. That's extremely thin, and will result in a lot of particles being generated, making the simulation very expensive. How many particles are in use by your solver? This appears at the top of the solver inspector, but it's not visible in your pic.

I'm using it to simulate a very thin rubber hose so it has to be that thin. The solver report that for 1 rope it uses 121 particles. I'm not sure that this is too much or not. If it too much maybe I can do something about that, put the thickness up and use scale? Recommendation is always welcome, I'm very new to Obi Rope, in fact this is the first project I use the asset.

Quote:There's a warning in your Solver component that tells you you're using the fallback backend (Oni) because there's missing package dependencies. This performs worse on mobile platforms (which Quest is) so I'd install the Burst dependencies right away. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...kends.html

Well, this sounds serious, I will fix that warning first and see what the new performance look like then we can think about it after that.

Quote:Regarding performance tweaking, one word: profile.

I have run some profiling before in the past, sorry I forgot to add the profiling snapshot in, but here it is in the new scene with 3 ropes that I mentioned above:
This is running in the real device connected to Unity Profiler using USB cable.
Note that I'm using this number as a baseline now, after I fixed the backend issue I will report back the numbers again.

[Image: bW7HjQh.jpg]

Both the new scene with 3 ropes and the old production one with 1 rope produce the similar result with PhysX.SolveIslandTask and ObiFixedUpdater using most of the CPU time. The 3 ropes scene take roughly 2-3x longer which kind of make sense.

Thanks

Messages In This Thread
Performance optimization help - by Alberos - 29-07-2021, 11:46 AM
RE: Performance optimization help - by josemendez - 29-07-2021, 12:08 PM
RE: Performance optimization help - by Alberos - 29-07-2021, 12:36 PM
RE: Performance optimization help - by Alberos - 30-07-2021, 05:49 AM
RE: Performance optimization help - by Alberos - 30-07-2021, 07:07 AM
RE: Performance optimization help - by josemendez - 30-07-2021, 08:32 AM
RE: Performance optimization help - by Alberos - 02-08-2021, 07:06 AM