Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to pin cloth particles to mesh without skinning
Pregunta 
Hi, I am trying to attach skirts or dresses to a human model. My project is a character customization program where the user can change clothes on run-time. 

The human model will be rigged and animated with capsule colliders. If I pin particles using the Obi Cloth interface they do not move with the model should the model rotate or animate into a pose. I believe this is because the cloth is not skinned.

The problem is I have so many different skirts and dresses that I cannot afford to skin/bind them all individually in a separate program such as Maya or Blender. I want to be able to pin them to the human model at run-time in Unity without skinning it beforehand. 

How is this possible, maybe through the scripting API of the particles list? 

Thanks for your help.

J
(18-01-2018, 05:13 PM)jumanahalasadi Wrote: Hi, I am trying to attach skirts or dresses to a human model. My project is a character customization program where the user can change clothes on run-time. 

The human model will be rigged and animated with capsule colliders. If I pin particles using the Obi Cloth interface they do not move with the model should the model rotate or animate into a pose. I believe this is because the cloth is not skinned.

The problem is I have so many different skirts and dresses that I cannot afford to skin/bind them all individually in a separate program such as Maya or Blender. I want to be able to pin them to the human model at run-time in Unity without skinning it beforehand. 

How is this possible, maybe through the scripting API of the particles list? 

Thanks for your help.

J

Hi jumanahalasadi,

What you ask for cannot be done in realtime using a CPU cloth solver. It involves detecting and resolving thousands of collisions against two deformable meshes.

Realtime clothing in games requires the cloth to be skinned to the same skeleton as the rest of the character.

kind regards,
(18-01-2018, 07:07 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi jumanahalasadi,

What you ask for cannot be done in realtime using a CPU cloth solver. It involves detecting and resolving thousands of collisions against two deformable meshes.

Realtime clothing in games requires the cloth to be skinned to the same skeleton as the rest of the character.

kind regards,

Hi, thanks for your response. The problem is I would like to automate the process, because skinning requires user interaction and I would need to skin so many models. The clothes are being designed in Marvelous designer and are exported as .objs.. but they are not skinned to the character, they are individual pieces imported into Unity. I would need to do this at run time, upon selection of a clothing item. 

Therefore is there a way to constrain some parts of the cloth to the body mesh, such as the top of a skirt, and have the bottom portion of it move freely somehow, maybe through code? Hmm or have some the vertices of the cloth mesh which are fixed/pinned follow some vertices of the deformable model (In Unity)

Thanks again