Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soccer net values.
I'm using the cloth sim to create a hockey net, just like you did in this video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0IEIJe...HdzlzdwEr4

Are these scene files available for me to take a look at?  Or could you perhaps post the solver values here?

In my sim, the hockey pucks continue to go straight through the net. I've tried increasing the Distance Constraint Parameters to 40, but that doesn't seem to solve it.

Do you have any advice to stop the pucks from passing through the net? The physics look so realistic in that video, but I'm having trouble achieving the same result.
(17-01-2018, 03:21 AM)BirdInTheCity Wrote: I'm using the cloth sim to create a hockey net, just like you did in this video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0IEIJe...HdzlzdwEr4

Are these scene files available for me to take a look at?  Or could you perhaps post the solver values here?

In my sim, the hockey pucks continue to go straight through the net. I've tried increasing the Distance Constraint Parameters to 40, but that doesn't seem to solve it.

Do you have any advice to stop the pucks from passing through the net? The physics look so realistic in that video, but I'm having trouble achieving the same result.

Hi there,

Take a look at your net particles at runtime (apply a ObiParticleRenderer component to the net). They might be too big for the puck, causing it to slip trough holes in the particle representation of the net. If your puck is very small you will have a hard time getting it to collide consistently with the cloth.

For the goal net scene we used 10 distance iterations and 1 bending iteration. The distance constraints had a "slack" value of 0.5 and the bending constraints had "max bending" set to 0.02. However keep in mind that how you set these values depends a lot on your actual mesh topology, how dense it is, the speed and size of your puck, etc. For instance, a very dense mesh will need a lot more distance constraint iterations to appear as stiff as a lower-poly mesh.

cheers!
(17-01-2018, 10:07 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Take a look at your net particles at runtime (apply a ObiParticleRenderer component to the net). They might be too big for the puck, causing it to slip trough holes in the particle representation of the net. If your puck is very small you will have a hard time getting it to collide consistently with the cloth.

For the goal net scene we used 10 distance iterations and 1 bending iteration. The distance constraints had a "slack" value of 0.5 and the bending constraints had "max bending" set to 0.02. However keep in mind that how you set these values depends a lot on your actual mesh topology, how dense it is, the speed and size of your puck, etc. For instance, a very dense mesh will need a lot more distance constraint iterations to appear as stiff as a lower-poly mesh.

cheers!

Jose,

Thanks for the feedback--it was a big help! 

In the end, 2 things really got our goalie net working better. As you mentioned, turning on the ObiParticleRenderer was a BIG help in showing us that large parts of our geometry didn't have enough vertices for a good simulation. We rebuilt the net to ensure the particles covered more evenly.

Beyond that, I forgot that our puck could have 2 sets of colliders--One for regular gameplay physics and a separate much larger collider specifically for this net interaction. Since the pucks move very quickly, the extra thickness around the big collider helps the net catch the puck every time, and visually it still looks great.

Thanks again!