Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reducing idle time on job threads
(14-04-2021, 02:53 PM)JanikH Wrote: The tip about increasing substeps instead of iteration is something I must have missed completely.

In general I think it's a bit weird for these nuggets about performance optimization to be hiding throughout the docs. Maybe it would be better to consolidate them into a dedicated page, especially seeing how often performance is mentioned on this forum.

This is general stuff applicable to all physics engines, so not a lot of emphasis is put on the documentation. All physics simulation must chop up time into time steps of some sort, the shorter the timestep (== the more steps per frame) the better quality you get.

I do realize that it's not immediately obvious stuff though (unless you've dealt with a fair share of other engines), so gradually I'm trying to cover more general simulation concepts in the manual. You make a good point, some fellow asset developers in Unity have proposed the same to me. I will probably add to the manual a sort of technical FAQ that condenses "recipes" for common use cases and tips to avoid typical pitfalls. Thanks for the suggestion!Sonrisa

(14-04-2021, 02:53 PM)JanikH Wrote: The ConstriantBatcher.BatchContactsJob is marked with the [BurstCompile] attribute, however it's not actually being Burst compiled?
Profiled on an Android device.

That's weird, will take a look and get back to you.

Messages In This Thread
Reducing idle time on job threads - by JanikH - 14-04-2021, 09:52 AM
RE: Reducing idle time on job threads - by JanikH - 14-04-2021, 10:38 AM
RE: Reducing idle time on job threads - by JanikH - 14-04-2021, 02:53 PM
RE: Reducing idle time on job threads - by josemendez - 14-04-2021, 03:13 PM
RE: Reducing idle time on job threads - by JanikH - 31-05-2021, 11:09 AM
RE: Reducing idle time on job threads - by JanikH - 01-06-2021, 11:40 AM