Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloth clipping through itself
(30-11-2020, 09:33 AM)josemendez Wrote: In your case, I'd try increasing particle radius in the cloth blueprint editor. By ensuring particles overlap in rest state, you will have some room for stretching before gaps appear in the particle representation.

In the general case though, there's no way you can make it stretchy and still have accurate self collision detection in a particle-based engine. This would require using full triangle based collision detection, that has traditionally been just too expensive for realtime use. We are working on it for Obi 6.0 though (see the last part of the following video):

This is currently under development and it will take a while to get released, as it requires a large paradigm shift for the entire engine: we're generalizing particles to n-dimensional simplices (points, edges, triangles and tetrahedra, in 0,1,2 and 3 dimensions respectively), and using a convex optimization algorithm to find contact points between them in a unified way. This is the recent research article this work is based on: https://mmacklin.com/sdfcontact.pdf

Thank you for your help with this. For now I will try increasing the particle radius and accept the remaining clipping while I wait for the release of Obi 6.0.

Messages In This Thread
Cloth clipping through itself - by arkanis - 27-11-2020, 07:18 AM
RE: Cloth clipping through itself - by josemendez - 27-11-2020, 08:56 AM
RE: Cloth clipping through itself - by arkanis - 27-11-2020, 10:26 AM
RE: Cloth clipping through itself - by arkanis - 30-11-2020, 06:41 AM
RE: Cloth clipping through itself - by josemendez - 30-11-2020, 09:33 AM
RE: Cloth clipping through itself - by arkanis - 30-11-2020, 07:30 PM