Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the softbody asset a good choice for modelling a soccer ball? [Answered]
Hi there,

Its not entirely clear to me what is it that you want to simulate. On one hand, you express interest on accurate deformation, but in a real soccer ball this deformarion is so slight and the ball recovers from it so fast, that for all intents and purposes it can be modeled as a rigidbody. Most AAA  soccer games do just that.

Using physx (unity’s built in engine), the contact area between objects is modeled as a contact manifold, which is a non-zero area. In the case of spheres i’m not entirely sure if it’s simplified as a point, though. Bouncing is modeled using a restitution coefficient (like in most rigidbody engines) which is usually enough for most purposes where actual material deformation is not needed.

A typical soccer ball can be simulated using physx just fine, in fact I used it for a side project. Only things I needed to add were angular friction and magnus effect, but these are very specific to soccer and even Obi does not model them.

So if what you’re after is accurate deformation, Obi can do it (even quite rigid objects). But in the case of soccer, rigidbodies will get you closer to the real behavior as ball deformation is mostly negligible and its visible effects on collision response are already accounted for in any rigidbody implementation. Unless you’re going for very cartoon-esque, exaggerated deformation, I’d stick with rigidbodies.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the softbody asset a good choice for modelling a soccer ball? - by josemendez - 10-09-2020, 10:57 PM