Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi 5 Slow on simple cases
Hello,

I have been trying to make some simple gonfalon flags in my game with obi.
However, I'm finding that performances are not as I would expect. 
I have six flags in the scene and the more I add, the more the performance deagrades (I also tried to use only one solver which seems to help a bit)

When i am using unity cloth, the performance impact is negligeable.

Any idea ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

How many LateUpdaters do you have in your scene? Seems to me that you've included your solver in multiple updaters (I count 6 in the profiler pic), this will cause simulation+mesh updating to be performed many times per frame (once per updater).

Make sure your solver(s) are only included in one updater. There's generally no reason to have a solver included in multiple updaters, unless you know exactly what you're doing. More over, all solvers in a updater are updated in parallel, whereas each updater is processed sequentially. So having one solver per updater is a really bad idea.
Hello,

Thanks, so what you mean is that I need only one fixed updater referencing all my solvers (which are per cloth), right ?
I actually have one solver per cloth and 1 late updater per solver (the second pic is from the flag prefab)

The 6 updaters would be the right guess as I indeed have 6 flags in the scene.

I will try again with only one solver and I'll send profiler pics again, as I did not improve that much when I did that (and I did not have multiple updaters !)
(29-04-2020, 11:17 PM)fdpsan Wrote: Hello,

Thanks, so what you mean is that I need only one fixed updater referencing all my solvers (which are per cloth), right ?
I actually have one solver per cloth and 1 late updater per solver (the second pic is from the flag prefab)

The 6 updaters would be the right guess as I indeed have 6 flags in the scene.

I will try again with only one solver and I'll send profiler pics again, as I did not improve that much when I did that (and I did not have multiple updaters !)

Exactly, just one updater for all the solvers in the scene. Let me know if this does not improve performance.
(30-04-2020, 09:32 AM)josemendez Wrote: Exactly, just one updater for all the solvers in the scene. Let me know if this does not improve performance.

Using 1 fixed updater and multiple solvers seems to improve performance however this is still expensive for many flags...

Are there any other performance tips?
If there are 20-50 flags for example in view, how to get the best performance out of them?