Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  High variance in ObiFixedUpdate performance impact
(20-04-2020, 10:34 AM)josemendez Wrote: I could not reproduce on any hardware I've tried, mostly mobiles (that are probably closest to Quest hardware-wise). ms/frame are quite stable.

What hardware level are you using, or are you relying on automatic throttling? (if this is still a thing in Quest as it was in Rift/Go, I don't know for sure). The built-in throttling system might be working against you, by reducing the level when a frame is light, causing the next frame to take longer to simulate, jumping to a higher hardware level, then reducing it back  to save battery, and so on. It's the only possible cause that comes to mind, since this issue is clearly hardware-dependent. Try setting a fixed CPU hardware level every frame, and see if that improves stability.

Could it be due to dynamic particle attachments? I got some weird results with very high increase in performance which may be connected to me changing all dynamic attachments on a rope to be connected to rigibodies which are kinematic for particles.

[EDIT]
It looks more like its because two solvers are simulated at the same time. I can simulate a 50+ particle rope alone at 72 frames, but as soon as i toggle another rope with just 3 particles I return to the ~50 frames. (This would also explain why I noticed the initial performance increase when I disabled the 3 particle antenna solver).
Is there something with the new obi 5.X and multiple solvers (in the same updater) that doesn't work well together on android?

Messages In This Thread
RE: High variance in ObiFixedUpdate performance impact - by TheMunk - 21-04-2020, 04:05 PM