Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asset Store purchase — missing useful examples, causing lost time
*** Asset Store buyers want 1 thing primarily — buy asset pack, save time & money ***

Story as a game developer... have been *losing* time instead

Background:

Just needed 1 thing — pouring fluid from a bottle into a glass.

What happened:

Bought Obi Fluid asset pack — the title screen shows a beaker pouring into a glass. Perfect!

Planned to grab the beaker example and plug it in. Wait... no example of a beaker / glass exists?

Ok — what example exists? A faucet into a bowl.

Good — except the bowl is the scale of a swimming pool — my bottle and glass are normal sized

Here's where as a developer I spent a LOT of my time:

1- Many hours here "fiddling with parameters" on Obi to scale (not straightforward)
2- Searched and posted to forums for scaling issues (others struggling too)
3- Watched developer videos from Obi creator (amazing tech, not helping me though)

It's not that I gave up, probably could get it working — but, time is money — had to move to a less cool liquid simulation.

Obi Fluid could *easily* be a plug-and-play solution with examples like this:

1- Demos come at regular scale not 10x size
2- Examples are present for common uses like bottles and glasses
3- Default values for Obi classes start where they should start (have to change immediately)

Is the technology amazing? YES. Do I believe it can work? YES.

Is this saving time for busy developers? Unfortunately NO. The lack of common demos mean devs spend MORE time.

The technology is grand — but "aha" — please add better examples to save TIME for customers  Huh

Messages In This Thread
Asset Store purchase — missing useful examples, causing lost time - by kwikdawg - 13-03-2020, 07:36 PM