Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't duplicate rope blueprint
I'm using Unity 2019.3.0f6 and Obi Rope 5.1. 

Otherwise the plugin is working fine, but I can't seem to duplicate a rope blueprint. This would be handy when making several variations of a static rope mesh (coils of rope), so that I don't have to make all of them from scratch.

The text on the red box on this page: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...setup.html seems says that it should be possible.

When I try to duplicate a rope blueprint, the copy looks different than the original (screenshot attached), and can't be attached to an Obi Rope object.

Searching didn't yield any results so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Is there another way to duplicate a blueprint than Ctrl + D in Project panel?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(24-02-2020, 08:35 PM)smuli Wrote: I'm using Unity 2019.3.0f6 and Obi Rope 5.1. 

Otherwise the plugin is working fine, but I can't seem to duplicate a rope blueprint. This would be handy when making several variations of a static rope mesh (coils of rope), so that I don't have to make all of them from scratch.

The text on the red box on this page: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...setup.html seems says that it should be possible.

When I try to duplicate a rope blueprint, the copy looks different than the original (screenshot attached), and can't be attached to an Obi Rope object.

Searching didn't yield any results so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Is there another way to duplicate a blueprint than Ctrl + D in Project panel?

Hi,

I didn't have any issues duplicating a rope blueprint. It's just a regular asset, and Obi is not in charge of managing duplication. It's a standard Unity feature, entirely Unity's responsibility.

By the looks of it, you're actually duplicating a particle group inside the blueprint, which is a sub-asset. Make sure you're selecting the blueprint itself and not any of its sub-assets.
Jose - Thanks for the answer! I tried updating to Unity 2019.3.2f1, but still no luck. I don't know why it only duplicates the particle group. I guess I'll work around this.
Same problem. When I duplicate Blueprint it creates ParticleGroup instead of Blueprint. But I definitely have Blueprint selected, for sure.
(21-10-2020, 09:00 PM)Elegar Wrote: Same problem. When I duplicate Blueprint it creates ParticleGroup instead of Blueprint. But I definitely have Blueprint selected, for sure.

Hi there,

I'm unable to reproduce this, blueprints are duplicated just fine for me (Unity 2019.3.1f1, 2019.4.1f1, 2020.1.4f1). Moreover, we have no control whatsoever over duplication afaik, as Unity is in charge of managing asset selection / duplication / creation / etc. Blueprints are regular assets, and particle groups are sub-assets (similar to how spritesheets and sprites work), once they're created, handling them is Unity's responsibility.

What Unity version are you using? Also, does this happen in a fresh project (just to rule out anything particular about your current project)?
2019.4.2f1
Also I noticed that blueprint actually duplicates but it appears inside of ParticleGroup: http://prntscr.com/v4rvi4

However not a big issue Sonrisa
(22-10-2020, 06:46 PM)Elegar Wrote: 2019.4.2f1
Also I noticed that blueprint actually duplicates but it appears inside of ParticleGroup: http://prntscr.com/v4rvi4

Well, that's weird to say the least Confundido. ParticleGroups are sub-assets, so I don't really understand how the blueprint itself can end as a sub-asset of a sub-asset. This isn't even supported by Unity afaik. Trippy stuff.

No luck reproducing it from my end, though, I've tried a variety of things: selecting both the group and the blueprint, selecting first the blueprint then the group, having multiple inspectors open, etc. Are there any specific steps to be taken for this to happen? Does it happen to you in a blank project?

Edit: here's a video of my futile attempts to trigger this. As you can see I've tried pretty much everything that came to mind: duplicate using the keyboard shortcut, using the dropdown menu, having both the blueprint and particle groups selected, duplicating a duplicate, duplicate having two inspectors open, etc. Have done the same in 3 Unity versions (2019.3, 2019.4.1f1, and 2010.1) to no avail. Duplicating an asset is entirely Unity's responsibility (we don't do any special handling of duplicates) so I'm beginning to think this might be a bug in Unity.
(22-10-2020, 06:46 PM)Elegar Wrote: 2019.4.2f1

I'm getting this exact issue. were you able to work around this issue? it will be very tedious for me to recreate the whole blueprint with some minor adjustments to some control points.