Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi Suit - Questions about cloth in characters
Hello there!
I am planning to make suit on character with simulation that will make nice wrinkes and will react to character underneath.
I wish to check your demo scene with guy with long coat but it's broken.

I am trying to work on UnityChan instead.

I figured out some stuff. That scale of simulation have to be same as object and about numbers of particles in obi solver.

But I am afraid about mesh. UnityChan has sleaves with thickness. As well as my suit. No matter who do I try i cannot make inner part of mesh don't flow over outter mesh. I got confused with what influance moving backwards and what option shows how much mesh can run forward.

I am trying to make mesh less and less stiff (following rig) closer it gets to exit of sleave. But it's all flows like some jelly not like cloth. Paiting weightes is weird here.

Why I am here:
How to make mesh with thickness work good. Or maybe we should remove inside mesh in places where it's not seen.
How can I smooth weighes alongside mesh
I wish to have nice wrinkles in places where cloth curves.
Will that backstop radius enough or I need colliders for stuff like pants.
How to make it not act like jelly.

Thanks a lot!
(04-10-2017, 09:28 AM)Rettosukero Wrote: Hello there!
I am planning to make suit on character with simulation that will make nice wrinkes and will react to character underneath.
I wish to check your demo scene with guy with long coat but it's broken.

I am trying to work on UnityChan instead.

I figured out some stuff. That scale of simulation have to be same as object and about numbers of particles in obi solver.

But I am afraid about mesh. UnityChan has sleaves with thickness. As well as my suit. No matter who do I try i cannot make inner part of mesh don't flow over outter mesh. I got confused with what influance moving backwards and what option shows how much mesh can run forward.

I am trying to make mesh less and less stiff (following rig) closer it gets to exit of sleave. But it's all flows like some jelly not like cloth. Paiting weightes is weird here.

Why I am here:
How to make mesh with thickness work good. Or maybe we should remove inside mesh in places where it's not seen.
How can I smooth weighes alongside mesh
I wish to have nice wrinkles in places where cloth curves.
Will that backstop radius enough or I need colliders for stuff like pants.
How to make it not act like jelly.

Thanks a lot!

- How to make mesh with thickness work good:

Use proxies:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...oxies.html
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...cloth.html

By using a proxie, you can perform the simulation on the inner layer of your cloth, and make the outer layer just follow it.

- How can I smooth weights alongside mesh:

I assume you mean how to smooth particle properties: for this you can use the smooth mode of the particle editor's painting tools:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...iting.html

- I wish to have nice wrinkles in places where cloth curves:

Increase the "max bending" parameter of your bend constraints, or disable them completely:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...aints.html

- Will that backstop radius enough or I need colliders for stuff like pants:

If your cloth is always very close to the body (pants, shirts, etc) then skin constraint's backstop will be enough. For stuff like trench coats, capes, scarfs and such (that can move freely around the body), colliders can be a better option.

- How to make it not act like jelly

Increase the amount of constraint iterations (specially distance constraints) in the ObiSolver. If your setup allows it (i.e, you have at least some fixed particles), you can use tether constraints to completely eliminate stretching:
(04-10-2017, 10:56 AM)josemendez Wrote: - How to make mesh with thickness work good:

Use proxies:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...oxies.html
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...cloth.html

By using a proxie, you can perform the simulation on the inner layer of your cloth, and make the outer layer just follow it.

- How can I smooth weights alongside mesh:

I assume you mean how to smooth particle properties: for this you can use the smooth mode of the particle editor's painting tools:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...iting.html

- I wish to have nice wrinkles in places where cloth curves:

Increase the "max bending" parameter of your bend constraints, or disable them completely:

- Will that backstop radius enough or I need colliders for stuff like pants:

If your cloth is always very close to the body (pants, shirts, etc) then skin constraint's backstop will be enough. For stuff like trench coats, capes, scarfs and such (that can move freely around the body), colliders can be a better option.

- How to make it not act like jelly

Increase the amount of constraint iterations (specially distance constraints) in the ObiSolver. If your setup allows it (i.e, you have at least some fixed particles), you can use tether constraints to completely eliminate stretching:

About proxies - Should I make new lowpoly mesh ? Especially that I want all pants animated for example? but some part will be just more skinned (like buttchecks) and some more simulated (like sleeves)
(05-10-2017, 08:35 AM)Rettosukero Wrote: About proxies - Should I make new lowpoly mesh ? Especially that I want all pants animated for example? but some part will be just more skinned (like buttchecks) and some more simulated (like sleeves)

No need to (unless your high poly mesh is really high poly). You can use the inner part of your mesh to "drive" an let the outer layer be "driven": This is what is done in the trenchcoat sample scene.
(05-10-2017, 09:07 AM)josemendez Wrote: No need to (unless your high poly mesh is really high poly). You can use the inner part of your mesh to "drive" an let the outer layer be "driven": This is what is done in the trenchcoat sample scene.

I wish I could use highpoly mesh but its so fat that computer crashes while editing particles and painting skin.
I will try lowpoly mesh.
Any advices?
(05-10-2017, 12:05 PM)Rettosukero Wrote: I wish I could use highpoly mesh but its so fat that computer crashes while editing particles and painting skin.
I will try lowpoly mesh.
Any advices?

Hi!

In general, try to stay between 3000-7000 vertices for high poly character cloth. Any more than that is just not practical for games. As reference, the trenchcoat used in the sample scene has 2500 vertices and around 5000 polys.
(05-10-2017, 12:10 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

In general, try to stay between 3000-7000 vertices for high poly character cloth. Any more than that is just not practical for games. As reference, the trenchcoat used in the sample scene has 2500 vertices and around 5000 polys.

Hi !
It's not my model.

Anyway I did it this way.
(in blender) I made lowpoly mesh. Then I skinned it (highpoly is skinned as well) Then I exported it as full (all models and armature) 
I've gave lowpoly mesh cloth obi cloth and highpoly mesh a proxy.
I've made topology out of low poly mesh.
I've made skin and I used lowpoly object as source and highpoly as target.
And then it comes to painting skin master I am confused. Which model I do paint? lowpoly or highpoly? Or both? 
I tried to check your threadcoat scene but when I check skin painting I cannot see anything no matter on what object I check and what layer I check.

What now?
When I paint only highpoly mesh and bind and then apply this skinmap to mesh in scene nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong? Is it about some parent-child relations? 

(05-10-2017, 01:34 PM)Rettosukero Wrote: Hi !
It's not my model.

(in blender) I made lowpoly mesh. Then I skinned it (highpoly is skinned as well) Then I exported it as full (all models and armature) 
And then it comes to painting skin master I am confused. Which model I do paint? lowpoly or highpoly? Or both? 
I tried to check your threadcoat scene but when I check skin painting I cannot see anything no matter on what object I check and what layer I check.

What now?
When I paint only highpoly mesh and bind and then apply this skinmap to mesh in scene nothing happens.

I've painted both lowpoly mesh and highpoly mesh and after updating proxy to highpoly and hitting play lowpoly mesh animates and highpoly lies down on floor and do nothing. And look weird... like it's different mesh.
(05-10-2017, 01:34 PM)Rettosukero Wrote: Hi !
It's not my model.

What now?

I've painted both lowpoly mesh and highpoly mesh and after updating proxy to highpoly and hitting play lowpoly mesh animates and highpoly lies down on floor and do nothing. And look weird... like it's different mesh.
OK I think I get it. You skin both of them.
But It acts weird . It's sticks to lowpoly mesh looking simular (like well... lowpoly) And it's like storm. I guess it's because one side affects other (I am talking about pants) What now?
(05-10-2017, 02:48 PM)Rettosukero Wrote: OK I think I get it. You skin both of them.
But It acts weird . It's sticks to lowpoly mesh looking simular (like well... lowpoly) And it's like storm. I guess it's because one side affects other (I am talking about pants) What now?

Hi!

Is your lowpoly mesh a separate mesh with two sides too? You only need 1 side for the simulated mesh, or you're back again at square one: the lowpoly mesh has two sides and you'd need a low-low-poly mesh to drive it...
(05-10-2017, 03:22 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Is your lowpoly mesh a separate mesh with two sides too? You only need 1 side for the simulated mesh, or you're back again at square one: the lowpoly mesh has two sides and you'd need a low-low-poly mesh to drive it...

My lowpoly mesh has no thickness. But highpoly loose it's thicknes while following lowpoly mesh. It's like it become inside out. And one leg sticks to other even if i have 2 layers of skin one for each leg.

(06-10-2017, 07:55 AM)Rettosukero Wrote: My lowpoly mesh has no thickness. But highpoly loose it's thicknes while following lowpoly mesh. It's like it become inside out. And one leg sticks to other even if i have 2 layers of skin one for each leg.

Aha and only object I can choose in particle proxy is lowpoly base mesh mesh. Is that ok ? If i keep it empty nothing happens.