Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Particle passed through collider
Hello there, I have made a ground attached with obi collider, and for some reason sometime there will be some part of the rope particle passed through the ground and the particle is blocked under the ground. Is there any way to solve/avoid this problem? thanks
(16-12-2019, 05:38 PM)Lokeyyyy Wrote: Hello there, I have made a ground attached with obi collider, and for some reason sometime there will be some part of the rope particle passed through the ground and the particle is blocked under the ground. Is there any way to solve/avoid this problem? thanks

This is known as tunneling and is common in all physics engines. Depends on what kind of collider you're using, its thickness, your rope resolution, your timestep, and multiple other things. Without a more detailed description all I can recommend is to use a ObiParticleRenderer on your rope to see what the particles are doing at runtime.
(16-12-2019, 05:47 PM)josemendez Wrote: This is known as tunneling and is common in all physics engines. Depends on what kind of collider you're using, its thickness, your rope resolution, your timestep, and multiple other things. Without a more detailed description all I can recommend is to use a ObiParticleRenderer on your rope to see what the particles are doing at runtime.

Thank you for your reply, in my case I have set the rope resolution to 1.0 and others stay at default. I would like to ask which property i should lower or increase in order to minimize this problem? Such as increasing the collider thickness, thanks.
(17-12-2019, 03:09 AM)Lokeyyyy Wrote: Thank you for your reply, in my case I have set the rope resolution to 1.0 and others stay at default. I would like to ask which property i should lower or increase in order to minimize this problem? Such as increasing the collider thickness, thanks.

Increasing the collider thickness (Note: actual thickness, not the thickness property, that will "fatten" the collider) will reduce tunneling. Decreasing the tilmestep, using more substeps, and increasing rope thickness will also help.

A rope resolution of 1.0 is fairly high, make sure you actually need that many particles. Quite often 0.5 or less is enough.