Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Skirt gets Scrunched
Dedo arriba 
I am not sure what the relative values should be

Skin Radius(0.07) > Skin Backstop Radius (0.05) > Skin Backstop (0.01)

I am assuming that Skin Radius needs to be higher than the skin backstop radius + skin radius?

Why is my characters skirt getting scrunched

[Image: EhYRN9r.png]

Imgur for more in-depth details and settings i used: https://imgur.com/a/Q12Uulj

NOTE: when i disable distance constriants the scrunch is gone, but the legs poke through the skirt.

SOLUTION FROM JOSE:

Object scale must be <1,1,1> in my case in blender the object scale was not updated even though it fit the model.
To solve this just update the scale (it wont change the shape of your volumes)

Just click the outfit In object mode
Then Ctrl+A
And then click "Scale"
It will not affect the volume of the object
-------------------
(02-12-2019, 10:03 PM)witchthewicked Wrote: I am not sure what the relative values should be

Skin Radius(0.07) > Skin Backstop Radius (0.05) > Skin Backstop (0.01)

I am assuming that Skin Radius needs to be higher than the skin backstop radius + skin radius?

Why is my characters skirt getting scrunched

[Image: EhYRN9r.png]

Imgur for more in-depth details and settings i used: https://imgur.com/a/Q12Uulj

NOTE: when i disable distance constriants the scrunch is gone, but the legs poke through the skirt.

Seems like a scaling issue to me. What's the scale of your mesh transform when you instantiate it into the scene (and all transforms up its hierarchy if any)? Should be <1,1,1>, if it isn't the easiest fix is to bake the scale into the mesh using whatever modeling program you used to create the mesh.
(03-12-2019, 08:40 AM)josemendez Wrote: Seems like a scaling issue to me. What's the scale of your mesh transform when you instantiate it into the scene (and all transforms up its hierarchy if any)? Should be <1,1,1>, if it isn't the easiest fix is to bake the scale into the mesh using whatever modeling program you used to create the mesh.

Correct. I have to use model scale 0.1 on import because I feel like in blender it's way too tiny to work in if I have it scale to 10x down.
(03-12-2019, 04:57 PM)witchthewicked Wrote: Correct. I have to use model scale 0.1 on import because I feel like in blender it's way too tiny to work in if I have it scale to 10x down.

So all transforms have a scale of 1? Scaling the mesh "on import" is not the same as setting the transform's scale, so it's not entirely clear to me how you're managing scaling. When dealing with physics (in any engine, not just Obi), using correct sizes and scale is of utmost importance, so you want to be very careful.

When you import a mesh into Unity, you can set the "Scale factor" in the import settings to scale the mesh up or down with respect to the size it was exported at. This is the actual size of your mesh, the one you'll get if you render your mesh with a transform scale of 1,1,1.

Now, the transform scale will be applied "on top" of the scale factor, scaling the rendered mesh. The mesh vertices themselves are not affected -your mesh still has the same physical size- , you just see them rendered bigger or smaller. This means you can render the same mesh 2, 3, 100.000 times with different transforms at different scales, but the mesh is still the same.

If you export your assets from blender with a transform scale value, this will also transfer over to Unity. So if using Blender, use Object->Apply->Scale before exporting. You'll notice the object still has the same size in Blender's viewport, but the scale values have reverted from whatever they were to 1,1,1. This is because applying the scale "bakes" the transform scale into the mesh vertices. This "apply" operation is very common and most 3D modeling packages have it.

Ideally, if you used actual units (cm, meters, etc) when modeling, and keep units consistent between Blender and Unity, you'd be done here. If not caring about units, you can change the "Scale factor" in Unity when importing the mesh to adjust its size. This will ensure the mesh has the appropriate size, and the transform scale is 1,1,1.

My advice is to always use real-world units when modeling, and keep them consistent troughout your asset pipeline. This will save you a lot of headaches, and ensure things behave the same way they look. Sonrisa
[Image: image.png]

I hope this image helps. I dont believe i scaled it.

Also i never do any exporting in blender. I just let unity3d naturally pick up the .blend file and do whatever it needs.

https://ibb.co/KFNs4F4

"Now, the transform scale will be applied "on top" of the scale factor, scaling the rendered mesh. The mesh vertices themselves are not affected -your mesh still has the same physical size- , you just see them rendered bigger or smaller. This means you can render the same mesh 2, 3, 100.000 times with different transforms at different scales, but the mesh is still the same." -- you

Got it dont mess with the scale transformation as it doesn't affect the mesh but it affects how it looks (yeah i always keep <1,1,1>)
Scale (like rotation and position) is applied to all child transforms. Are all transforms up the skirt's hierarchy also unit scaled (1,1,1)?

Edit: if you want/are allowed to, you can simply share the model with me and I'll figure out the issue faster (send it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com)
(03-12-2019, 05:42 PM)josemendez Wrote: Scale (like rotation and position) is applied to all child transforms. Are all transforms up the skirt's hierarchy also unit scaled (1,1,1)?

Edit: if you want/are allowed to, you can simply share the model with me and I'll figure out the issue faster (send it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com)

sure ill send you the model
(03-12-2019, 05:47 PM)witchthewicked Wrote: [Image: image.png]

sure ill send you the model

Ok! I will take a look at it Sonrisa.

From your screenie, looks like all sibling transforms and the root have unity scale, but what about the armature bones/joints? These also apply their scale to the mesh via the skinned mesh renderer, so they must all have unit scale.
(03-12-2019, 05:53 PM)josemendez Wrote: Ok! I will take a look at it Sonrisa.

From your screenie, looks like all sibling transforms and the root have unity scale, but what about the armature bones/joints? These also apply their scale to the mesh via the skinned mesh renderer, so they must all have unit scale.

The answer was in blender select the clothing mesh HIT CTRL + A (while in obj mode) then select SCALE (that will apply scale to set it to 1.0) otherwise ull get this vortex blackhole effect.