Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5.0 now requires Unity 2019.2.9?
Lengua 
Hi all,

Can't find this answer in the FAQ, and couldn't find proper support information - so hopefully the right spot.

Bought this for a VR sim to handle a small part (I'd like this project done tomorrow) BUT lo and behold when I went to use the plugin ... I didn't read carefully and it looks like it doesn't support 2018.x packages - only Unity 2019.2.9 and later.  I couldn't find a way to get immediate help, and the website / info keeps redirecting here. I'm a bit nervous about relying on this because the forums seem inactive, and there posts haven't been getting responses for a few days ... but here goes.

I'd like to know how we can get the earlier 2018 version? 3.2 worked fine for desktop use and 2018. I won't update the entire VR simulation for the support of a rope plugin, but am hoping there is a quick solution without removing Obi and finding something else. I can't downgrade the 2019 version either, because it was serialized in binary with the 2019 serialization format. So yeah.
You could e-mail support@virtualmethodstudio.com, I am sure they will be able to get you the version you need.
(29-11-2019, 06:42 AM)newguy1 Wrote: You could e-mail support@virtualmethodstudio.com, I am sure they will be able to get you the version you need.

Thank you for sharing this - I haven't seen that email address listed anywhere.  The closest I found was this:

'If your question needs privacy for any reason (refund request, restricted project, collaboration proposal, etc), please write to: obi (at) virtualmethodstudio.com. Otherwise you will be redirected to the forum anyway.'

They mention this several times on the website where they say you need to post in the forums for a solution.

Anyway, it has been 6 hours already, I don't see myself using Obi in this project. But I'll take your advice and reach out to them after the project is done and I'm sure they can setup a refund or something.
(29-11-2019, 01:35 AM)lsummers Wrote: Hi all,

Can't find this answer in the FAQ, and couldn't find proper support information - so hopefully the right spot.

Bought this for a VR sim to handle a small part (I'd like this project done tomorrow) BUT lo and behold when I went to use the plugin ... it looks like they removed the 2018.x packages and now only support Unity 2019.2.9 and nothing earlier.  I can't find a way to get immediate help, and the website / info keeps redirecting here.  I'm a bit nervous about relying on this because the forums seem pretty inactive, and there posts haven't been getting responses for a few days ... but hey here goes.

I'd like to know how we can get the earlier 2018 version?  3.2 worked fine for desktop use and 2018.  I won't update an entire VR simulation at the last minute for the support of a single rope plugin, but am hoping there is a quick solution without removing Obi and finding something else.  I can't downgrade the 2019 version either, because it was serialized in binary with the 2019 serialization format.  So yeah.

Hi there,

This is very clearly stated in the asset page in the store:
Quote:Supported Unity versions: 2019.2.9 or higher

I can provide version 4.1 (last one that worked in 2018.X), just write to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com
(29-11-2019, 08:05 AM)lsummers Wrote: I haven't seen that email address listed anywhere. 

It's in our publisher page in the store. If you click in our name in the store and the "email" button. Anyway, obi(at)virtualmethodstudio.com is an alias for this adress, it simply tags Obi support emails so that we can clearly tell them apart in our inbox.
(29-11-2019, 08:06 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

This is very clearly stated in the asset page in the store:

I can provide version 4.1 (last one that worked in 2018.X), just write to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com

Thanks, I understand that now. My error.
Accusing us of lying for no reason won't help anyone. Posting in the forums at night (3 am local time) and leaving a 1 star review because no one answered merely 6 hours after won't either. So honestly I don't know the reason for your strange behavior, but it certainly isn't very motivating to me.

(29-11-2019, 09:00 AM)lsummers Wrote: Yes, I understand that is what it says today (but not when the asset was published).  Thanks.

That's what it said the very day the package was published, 20th November. We haven't pushed any more updates to the store since then. Here's the publisher page proving it:
[Image: j9zpa0Z.png]

And the package upload timestamp (which was even before, since the asset had to be approved by the store after uploading), together with the Unity version it was uploaded with (which is where you set the minimum version supported):
[Image: e1UZPUe.png]
(29-11-2019, 09:20 AM)josemendez Wrote: Accusing us of lying for no reason won't help anyone. Posting in the forums at night and leaving a 1 star review because no one answered merely 6 hours after won't either. So honestly I don't know the reason for your strange behavior, but it certainly isn't very motivating to me.

I shouldn't have to motivate you, I'm sorry if that is rude but its a financial exchange for a product that someone wants to do something.

I think I mixed this up with another Obi product version - in either case, I bought something hoping to have it do something it can't.  It *should* be an easy discussion to resolve, an exchange of an email, an update to a review.  Instead, this is going negative fast, which is fine too.

I'll update my post above (as I said, it is my mistake).  And send the email I was just about to send over.  But honestly, yes if I buy something and I think it doesn't work the way I thought it would - I'd give a negative review once the experience is negative.  If that changes, I update the review, I always do.  I don't wait to share my reviews, I keep them updated in real time, in case I don't get a response and lose track of an unresolved issue.  Again tracking these things isn't a core part of my day.  I want other people to know the limitations and experiences and problems with products so they can make an informed decision, it is nothing personal, and if we can find a solution, I'll be happy to update it. 

Yes - 6 hours is a good turn around time for help, but there are other questions on here a few days old unanswered.  I don't know your turn around time.  Pushing public community forums for support for a paid product, is a good way to distance a customer enough that they will leave a negative review.  Regardless I still purchased it thinking something was supported and working that isn't, that is my fault, however even though you've been responsive recently - lets not forget the issue isn't resolved at the moment.  Therefore, a negative review is kind of ... accurate up to this moment.  The experience has been, for both of us I think, negative so far.  Maybe we can still turn that around though.
(29-11-2019, 09:38 AM)lsummers Wrote: My goal in life isn't to motivate you, I'm sorry if that is rude but its a financial exchange for a product that someone wants to do something.  

I must have mixed this up with another Obi product version - in either case, I bought something hoping to have it do something it can't.  It *should* be an easy discussion to resolve, an exchange of an email, an update to a review.  Instead, this is going negative fast, which is fine too.

I'll update my post, as I said, it is my error.  And send the email I was just about to send over.  But honestly, yes if I buy something and I think it doesn't work the way I thought it would - I'd give a negative review.  Once it is corrected, I'd update the review, I always do.  I don't wait to share my reviews, I keep them updated in real time, in case I don't get a response and lose track of an unresolved issue.  Again this isn't a core part of my day.  I want other people to know the limitations and experiences and problems with products so they can make an informed decision, it is nothing personal, and if we can find a solution, I'll be happy to update it. 

Yes - 6 hours is a good turn around time for help, but there are other questions on here a few days old unanswered.  I don't know your turn around time.  Pushing public community forums for support for a paid product, is a good way to distance a customer enough that they will leave a negative review.  Regardless I still purchased it thinking something was supported and working that isn't, that is my fault, however even though you've been responsive recently - lets not forget the issue isn't resolved at the moment.  Therefore, a negative review is kind of ... accurate up to this moment.  The experience has been, for both of us I think, negative so far.  Maybe we can still turn that around though.

Hi,

Sorry if this turned negative quickly, but it certainly wasn't my intention. Now I see it wasn't yours either. So let's get back on track.

I can send you v4.1, which is the latest version that works in 2018, or offer you a full refund. Either is just fine, simply write to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com requesting the version (or the refund, in which case I'd need your Invoice Number). I'll be there waiting for your email Sonrisa
(29-11-2019, 09:42 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Sorry if this turned negative quickly, but it certainly wasn't my intention. Now I see it wasn't yours either. So let's get back on track.

I can send you v4.1, which is the latest version that works in 2018, or offer you a full refund. Either is just fine, simply write to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com requesting the version (or the refund, in which case I'd need your Invoice Number). I'll be there waiting for your email Sonrisa

Thank you! I've per-emptively updated the review.  I apologize as I should have handled this more tactfully.