Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Pass Stereo
Will the LWRP / URP mode support "Single Pass Stereo"?

I really hope it is possible so we can use it in VR with higher performance. Someone on youtube tried to use 2 camera for VR but the result was a little buggy.

So I'm just wondering if it is something that will be possible sometime in the near future?

Thanks
(28-11-2019, 09:40 PM)neonDog Wrote: Will the LWRP / URP mode support "Single Pass Stereo"?

I really hope it is possible so we can use it in VR with higher performance. Someone on youtube tried to use 2 camera for VR but the result was a little buggy.

So I'm just wondering if it is something that will be possible sometime in the near future?

Thanks

Hi there,

Will try to, but the method we use for rendering (screen-space ellipsoid splatting) does not lend itself very well to single-pass stereo. However, it's the most efficient way to render fluid surfaces in realtime. So we are a bit between a rock and a hard place here.

As far as I know, the 2 camera setup works just fine (if less performant than single pass stereo would be). Can you specify what looked "buggy" in this video? (Or post it here)
(29-11-2019, 08:17 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Will try to, but the method we use for rendering (screen-space ellipsoid splatting) does not lend itself very well to single-pass stereo. However, it's the most efficient way to render fluid surfaces in realtime. So we are a bit between a rock and a hard place here.

As far as I know, the 2 camera setup works just fine (if less performant than single pass stereo would be). Can you specify what looked "buggy" in this video? (Or post it here)

It isn't as bad as I remembered it being. It is just the left and right sides of the screen that have some drawing issues.
His CPU and card are good, but not top of the line (6700K with GTX 1080).

I'm not sure what other methods are available aside from screen-space ellipsiod, but solely for VR usage there must be something more efficient that could be considered?

The current render is perfect for normal games, but an alternative render mode for VR games would be amazing
(29-11-2019, 04:05 PM)neonDog Wrote: It isn't as bad as I remembered it being. It is just the left and right sides of the screen that have some drawing issues.
His CPU and card are good, but not top of the line (6700K with GTX 1080).

In Rift (any many other earlier VR devices), when you look around fast, the last frame is freezed in place until the new one is rendered. During that time, you can see "outside" the frame if you peek at the corner of the eyes, and what's there it's of course black (as the device hasn't rendered anything there). The higher the fps, the smaller these black bands. But they're always there. Thankfully in the device they pass mostly unnoticed because your eyes spend most of the time looking forward. Not so much when rendered to a screen, where you can see them clearly. I don't think this is Obi's fault, seen it happen in many VR games.

Also that video is of a quite old version, where particle anisotropy hadn't been added yet and everything looked like small spheres Sonrisa

(29-11-2019, 04:05 PM)neonDog Wrote: I'm not sure what other methods are available aside from screen-space ellipsiod, but solely for VR usage there must be something more efficient that could be considered?

Most realtime fluid rendering methods are screen-space, as the possible alternatives involve some form of isosurface extraction (like marching cubes, which is slow, even in GPU). Of the screen-space methods, ellipsoid splatting is the most advanced (and better looking) one. So not many viable alternatives sadly. We will try to get single stereo working in the future though, but it's hard to say when (and if) it will be available.