Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Large volumes of fluid causing lag
I've noticed that over 10k+ particles I start to get a lot of lag.

Does Obi have some way to handle large amounts of fluid eg: occlusion culling or hiding particles below the top layer?
(02-06-2019, 05:09 PM)genoli Wrote: I've noticed that over 10k+ particles I start to get a lot of lag.

Does Obi have some way to handle large amounts of fluid eg: occlusion culling or hiding particles below the top layer?

Hi,

Occlusion culling is performed for rendering. However the bottleneck is simulation, and culling would have no effect since simulation still has to be performed for occluded particles. It's not possible to "hide" particles from the simulation, because if you do then the fluid dynamics would be incorrect.

Simply reduce the fluid resolution, so that there are less particles per volume unit.
(02-06-2019, 07:32 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Occlusion culling is performed for rendering. However the bottleneck is simulation, and culling would have no effect since simulation still has to be performed for occluded particles. It's not possible to "hide" particles from the simulation, because if you do then the fluid dynamics would be incorrect.

Simply reduce the fluid resolution, so that there are less particles per volume unit.

Do you think the C# Job System might be capable of speeding up simulation? (Pressuming it's not already been added)
(02-06-2019, 09:05 PM)genoli Wrote: Do you think the C# Job System might be capable of speeding up simulation? (Pressuming it's not already been added)

Hi,

Internally we use a C++-based task system that is pretty much the same as Unity's Job System. Simulation tasks are evenly distributed across available cores (up to 8).