Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  Milk waterfall with Obi Fluid ?
Hello

I am interested by your product to render this kind of "milk waterfall", with a high viscosity.
Final output: 2k video recorded with Timeline. (I have a really good computer, i9 3.9Ghz and a GTX 2080).

(Points particles and smoke will be rendered with standard Unity tools).

Houdini is good for that but way too slow to render + difficult to master, and the deadline is close.

But could you tell me if it's possible to get a close rendering, especially:

1. If i can easily tweak your shaders and add textures ? (especially for the details)
2. If it will be possible to get the same separations, where some parts are splitted ? (in red)
3. Your product is still only available for the 2018.x and the default render pipeline right ?

According to your answers, I will buy it !

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers,

Kevin

[Image: b31568b557ab7ac99080196facb12e1c-full.png]

[Image: d4a9241c8116b6843523948b5d07bacd-full.png]
(20-05-2019, 06:38 AM)kevtsubasa Wrote: Hello

I am interested by your product to render this kind of "milk waterfall", with a high viscosity.
Final output: 2k video recorded with Timeline. (I have a really good computer, i9 3.9Ghz and a GTX 2080).

(Points particles and smoke will be rendered with standard Unity tools).

Houdini is good for that but way too slow to render + difficult to master, and the deadline is close.

But could you tell me if it's possible to get a close rendering, especially:

1. If i can easily tweak your shaders and add textures ? (especially for the details)
2. If it will be possible to get the same separations, where some parts are splitted ? (in red)
3. Your product is still only available for the 2018.x and the default render pipeline right ?

According to your answers, I will buy it !

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers,

Kevin

[Image: b31568b557ab7ac99080196facb12e1c-full.png]

[Image: d4a9241c8116b6843523948b5d07bacd-full.png]

Hi Kevin,

There's several reasons why I'd choose Houdini for this (or RealFlow, PhoenixFD, Blender's FLIPFluids or any other cinematic-quality fluid simulation package).

- Render quality and flexibility. Obi uses screen-space ellipsoid splatting, that while blazing fast, is a quite limited technique for fluid rendering and mostly restricted to realtime use. You cannot have textures on the fluid (as texture advection is very expensive), you cannot have arbitrary illumination (only directional lights), refraction, reflection and transmittance are inherently inaccurate, etc. Offline renderers can perform marching cubes or similar approaches to generate an actual fluid mesh that can be textured and lit, just like any regular mesh.

Oh, and milk really needs subsurface scattering to look like milk. Otherwise it will look like white paint. Another reason to use a proper offline renderer.

- Simulation speed, as unintuitive as it might sound. Based on your screenshots, your simulation requires crazy high resolution. While Obi's method (position-based dynamics) is fast for relatively low particle counts, when you ramp up the resolution (amount of particles) there are other techniques that scale better, and are comparatively faster. Particularly grid-particle hybrid methods such as FLIP/MPM, which is what Houdini uses. These are seldom used in realtime but widely used in VFX, due to the scalability factor among others.

- Approachability. Obi isn't necessarily easier to learn than Houdini, at least not if all you want is some simple fluid simulation (which in Houdini is quite easy to get running). Fluid simulation is a quite complex topic, no matter how you approach it.

kind regards,