Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi Cloth Jittering
Hi, 

I'm trying to make a yacht sail, and am finding the cloth jitters/jerks every few seconds. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Here's a video of the issue: https://youtu.be/Lf0cFK4tRJg.

There's currently am ambient force zone applied perpendicular to the sail which is working correctly and making it 'bow' outwards. There's no turblence or turblence frequency applied.

The cloth is parented to a gameobject 'Boat' which moves sideways slowly using transform.position, and the sail is fixed in position using 'Fix Translation' on the 3 outer points of the triangle.

See pics here for the setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks
(13-04-2019, 03:21 PM)adamjm Wrote: Hi, 

I'm trying to make a yacht sail, and am finding the cloth jitters/jerks every few seconds. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Here's a video of the issue: https://youtu.be/Lf0cFK4tRJg.

There's currently am ambient force zone applied perpendicular to the sail which is working correctly and making it 'bow' outwards. There's no turblence or turblence frequency applied.

The cloth is parented to a gameobject 'Boat' which moves sideways slowly using transform.position, and the sail is fixed in position using 'Fix Translation' on the 3 outer points of the triangle.

See pics here for the setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

If you're going to move the boat by directly setting its transform (which is not a good idea when using any kind of physics), do so in FixedUpdate() instead of Update().

That should get rid of the jittering.

kind regards,
(13-04-2019, 04:33 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

If you're going to move the boat by directly setting its transform (which is not a good idea when using any kind of physics), do so in FixedUpdate() instead of Update().

That should get rid of the jittering.

kind regards,

Thanks for the quick reply. You're right about movement using the transform, so I've switched over to adding force to the rigidbody for movement, but still get the same jittering.

I can provide a test scene if you need.

Thanks
(14-04-2019, 01:38 AM)adamjm Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply. You're right about movement using the transform, so I've switched over to adding force to the rigidbody for movement, but still get the same jittering.

I can provide a test scene if you need.

Thanks

Hi,

Send your test scene to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com and we'll take a look at it.

thanks!