Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange looking distance field
Hello Obi,

Sometimes when I generate distance fields, they look strange in the preview. Namely there are artefacts that are not close to the mesh. I checked in blender that the mesh does not have holes. Have you seen this before?

pic:

.png   Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 4.50.05 PM.png (Size: 16.82 KB / Downloads: 19)
(10-04-2019, 09:52 AM)bobby Wrote: Hello Obi,

Sometimes when I generate distance fields, they look strange in the preview. Namely there are artefacts that are not close to the mesh. I checked in blender that the mesh does not have holes. Have you seen this before?

pic:

When dealing with pointy zones, low-res distance fields can sometimes miscalculate the distance at points away from the mesh but aligned with these zones . (points aligned with the diagonal of a corner, for instance). Increasing the detail of the field should get rid of this. Also, generating fields from "smoother" meshes is a solution. Note that the actual rendering mesh and the one used to generate the distance field do not have to be exactly the same.
(10-04-2019, 04:56 PM)josemendez Wrote: When dealing with pointy zones, low-res distance fields can sometimes miscalculate the distance at points away from the mesh but aligned with these zones . (points aligned with the diagonal of a corner, for instance). Increasing the detail of the field should get rid of this. Also, generating fields from "smoother" meshes is a solution. Note that the actual rendering mesh and the one used to generate the distance field do not have to be exactly the same.

Thank you for the response Jose.
I have a particular mesh that is having large artefacts. Even when decreasing max error by 100x the same artefacts exist at the same size. The same artefacts exist at depth 5 and 8 with same severity.

I would still like the cloth to interact with a mesh with sharp edges so I don’t want to smooth the mesh. Is there any other options?

(11-04-2019, 01:59 AM)bobby Wrote: Thank you for the response Jose.
I have a particular mesh that is having large artefacts. Even when decreasing max error by 100x the same artefacts exist at the same size. The same artefacts exist at depth 5 and 8 with same severity.

I would still like the cloth to interact with a mesh with sharp edges so I don’t want to smooth the mesh. Is there any other options?

Here are the distance fields: 

max error 0.1, max depth 8, 777 nodes:

[attachment=334]

max error 0.001, max depth 8, 102705 nodes: 

[attachment=335]

mesh:

[attachment=336]
(11-04-2019, 01:59 AM)bobby Wrote: Thank you for the response Jose.

Here are the distance fields: 

max error 0.1, max depth 8, 777 nodes:

max error 0.001, max depth 8, 102705 nodes: 

mesh:

For such a low-poly mesh you might be better off using a MeshCollider directly. Anyway, if you could send this mesh to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com for us to take a closer look at it it would be great Sonrisa