Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bug / Crash  Constant, Random Unity Freezing/Hanging Indefinitely
I have a scene setup with 2 Obi Cloth objects that are simple flags blowing in the wind. These meshes have 72 vertices/particles, and have volume (they are not planes). These flags are pinned to a post with a obi collider, and a second invisible obi collider with a rigidbody acts as a collider to keep them from passing through the post (it is wider to compensate for there being so few vertices). They each have their own solver.

The performance is great, but I keep running into Unity freezing abruptly, both in editor and build. Sometimes the freeze happens very quickly, and sometimes it takes a long time, but it seems like if I let the simulation run long enough it will inevitably happen.

Any idea how I can go about troubleshooting this?
Unity Version 2018.3.5f1

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Updated to Unity 3.12f1 and am still getting crashes in build. 

- Removed the extra collider so there is only one that is both the pin and the post collider.
- Completely deleted the object and rebuilt from scratch with a new mesh and new generated mesh topology.
- Removed the 2nd flag for now so there is only one to troubleshoot.
- Attempted using only 1 pin, and fixing the translation of all the other vertices along post.

Getting crash almost instantly on running the build.
(08-04-2019, 09:07 PM)slumberface Wrote: Updated to Unity 3.12f1 and am still getting crashes in build. 

- Removed the extra collider so there is only one that is both the pin and the post collider.
- Completely deleted the object and rebuilt from scratch with a new mesh and new generated mesh topology.
- Removed the 2nd flag for now so there is only one to troubleshoot.
- Attempted using only 1 pin, and fixing the translation of all the other vertices along post.

Getting crash almost instantly on running the build.

Hi,

We are not able to reproduce this. Can you share the crash log?
Initialize engine version: 2018.3.12f1 (8afd630d1f5b)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ID=0x1b81)
    Vendor:   
    VRAM:     8096 MB
    Driver:   23.21.13.8813
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in  0.467 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Legacy Shaders/Diffuse' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01_AltOutline' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01_NoOutline' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01_Transparent_Unlit' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01_Transparent' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
UnloadTime: 0.380500 ms
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PositionLongtermFallGauge.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Crash!!!

I completely removed the collider from the equation and was still getting crashes in build as soon as the cloth started simulating.

If I changed the flag to a simpler mesh that only has 36 vertices and I do not appear to be crashing anymore. I would send over the blend file for the mesh linked to the crash but I don't know the best way to do so.
(08-04-2019, 11:34 PM)slumberface Wrote: Initialize engine version: 2018.3.12f1 (8afd630d1f5b)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ID=0x1b81)
    Vendor:   
    VRAM:     8096 MB
    Driver:   23.21.13.8813
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in  0.467 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Legacy Shaders/Diffuse' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01_AltOutline' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01_NoOutline' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01_Transparent_Unlit' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Toony Colors Pro 2/User/Courier_Shader01_Transparent' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
UnloadTime: 0.380500 ms
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PositionLongtermFallGauge.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Crash!!!

I completely removed the collider from the equation and was still getting crashes in build as soon as the cloth started simulating.

If I changed the flag to a simpler mesh that only has 36 vertices and I do not appear to be crashing anymore. I would send over the blend file for the mesh linked to the crash but I don't know the best way to do so.

The crash happens in a file named PositionLongtermFallGauge, which is not part of Obi. I'd first check if that file could be the culprit.

You can send your mesh and any additional info to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com and we'll take a look at it.