Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Rope Setup (Noob)
Hi,

I'm new to Obi Rope and I'm hoping someone can help me.

What I'm trying to achieve is a rope that I can attach each side to something, one side of the rope to a fixed object and the other side to a moving object and that moving object would ideally be driven by Unity physics and once it reaches the rope extent, it pulls the object back like a real rope would (assuming it was strong enough).

Currently, I have a rope with 2 'pin constraints' to both my objects.  Now, when I move the one object the rope just stretches to infinity or I can add a break.

So, is there a way to make it not stretch and keep my moving object from moving further?

Thanks!
(25-05-2019, 12:06 AM)webjeff Wrote: Hi,

I'm new to Obi Rope and I'm hoping someone can help me.

What I'm trying to achieve is a rope that I can attach each side to something, one side of the rope to a fixed object and the other side to a moving object and that moving object would ideally be driven by Unity physics and once it reaches the rope extent, it pulls the object back like a real rope would (assuming it was strong enough).

Currently, I have a rope with 2 'pin constraints' to both my objects.  Now, when I move the one object the rope just stretches to infinity or I can add a break.

So, is there a way to make it not stretch and keep my moving object from moving further?

Thanks!

Hi,

As long as the object you've attached using a pin constraint is a rigid body (and you're not directly setting its transform position), the rope will pull from it. Use forces to move it. Also make sure the mass ratio between the rope and the rigidbody is not too high (a very heavy object will very easily stretch a light rope).