Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Ideas to improve fly fishing simulation
I've been tinkering with a fly fishing simulator in VR. I attached an ObiRope to the end of a 3m rod.  I'm actually surprised how well things tend to work in general; I'm far away form truly replicating what happens you overhand cast a fly line, but I feel like there is potential. 

Here's what I'm trying to simulate....

[Image: tumblr_okb6qbsm511w2ukaoo1_400.gif.b48e7...81f6df.gif]

There's a lot going on here obviously; aerodynamics probably play a large role, and I assume ObiRope doesn't take into account. So, I doubt this can be replicated simply by placing an ObiRope at the end of a cylinder, but I still want to try...

Some questions I have:

1: How can I make the ObiRope not pivot 360 degrees around the fixed particle at the end of the rod. Any movement that is slightly off course can easily make the rope helicopter around the tip of the rod. Is there any way to encourage the line to only move in a certain plane? (i.e. the plane the rod is moving through).

2: What knobs do I have to reduce the strechiness of the rope... The only thing that I have found effective is reducing the resolution, i.e. number of particles, in the rope... What else can I do?

Any other ideas about how to achieve this effect are welcome!

Messages In This Thread
Ideas to improve fly fishing simulation - by ChumLee - 17-02-2019, 05:24 AM