Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to load dll "libOni" on UWP
I've been building a project using Obi Rope, designed to run in VR on Windows Mixed Reality (not on Hololens – on one of the 3rd party VR headsets). Up until now I've been testing the project from the Unity Editor, with the platform set to Universal Windows Platform, and everything's been working just fine. 

But now I've tried making a build of the project, got a bunch of errors, and discovered this thread. 

To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement. This is something of a disaster. I have a public exhibition that opens in a few days; it has to run for a month, and now I realize that I won't be able to build a standalone application. I'll have to run it from the editor, which will be more difficult to manage (the staff of the gallery will have to keep it running), and I assume it will be less stable and less robust. And unfortunately it's way too late to consider an alternative.

While I understood that ObiRope couldn't run on a Hololens, I had no idea that it couldn't run on UWP at all; this was hardly clear from the documentation (this thread is pretty much the ONLY mention of the problem) – and especially because it runs perfectly well in the editor with UWP as the selected platform. I mean, a WMR VR headset is simply a peripheral for a PC (running Windows 10). And while I now realize that "Universal Windows Platform" isn't "Windows", this is not an obvious distinction (it has "Windows" in the name, after all). So I think this limitation should have been made MUCH more obvious, because now I'm pretty much screwed.

Don't get me wrong, I think ObiRope is brilliant, but now I kind of wish I'd never discovered it.

Anyway, I strongly encourage you to support UWP and WMR as soon as possible.

Messages In This Thread
Unable to load dll "libOni" on UWP - by trujano - 16-08-2017, 06:43 PM
RE: Unable to load dll "libOni" - by josemendez - 17-08-2017, 09:03 AM
RE: Unable to load dll "libOni" on UWP - by phoberman - 16-02-2018, 03:23 AM