Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  Scripting Electric Cable Force on Obi Rope
Hi everyone.  I am considering purchase of the remarkable Obi Rope to do some custom physical modeling in Unity, and wanted to ask a question.

Goal:  

Model the self-generated motion of a set of electrical cables, via Obi Rope

Ideas:

1.  I'd model a set of connected ropes, Obi via stitch constraints.

2.  Then I'd like to treat some of the ropes as "electric cables", in the sense that they will produce a scripted magnetic force on each other.

3.  I'd like to script the force in a C# method that iterates over each Obi particle in those "electric cables", to produce the mutually-induced net magnetic force on just those cables.

4.  When the net magnetic force is calculated, I add it to other forces, and model (1.) moves an increment under the net force.

5.  I loop the method of (3.) to see the evolution of the shape of the connected ropes over some timeframe.

6.  Changing "current":  I increase some Inspector property value to alter current in (3.), hence the force, to see how it changes the evolution of the shape.

Questions / Notes:

To perform method (3.), is it possible to set and get all Obi particle properties of model (1.) from within a C# script method?   Or is there a different way to add a custom physics force?

I don't need real-time performance; even something that updates rope positions once a minute would be ok.

--

Thanks for any thoughts.  If such custom physics sim is generally feasible, I'll purchase and just give it a shot.

Messages In This Thread
Scripting Electric Cable Force on Obi Rope - by phys_modeler - 25-10-2018, 10:38 PM